• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp & Compass going stupid!

jack96xj

NAXJA Forum User
96 4door XJ overhead console Temp and Compass not anywhere close to what the should be. How do I adjust them! I read a thread on it about a week ago and now I can't remember where I read it at. Somebody give me some help on this one. Probably gonna need step by step.

Jack

I don't know about the temp but the compass has an adjustment procedure, it allso has a demag/degaussing procedure that is done from the roof outside the vehicle. I'd look for ground issues seeing as how both went wacky at the same time...

Is this a new (to you) rig? Do you have a magnetic mount CB antenna?

---- Hold down the temp/com button and the F/C button at the same time.
--- Var will be displayed. You will have to find the magnetic variance for your area.
(or get a hand held compass, face north and push the f/c button untill you line up
your OHC compass to the hand held compass)
----When you are done push temp/ com button to return to normal display.
---you can calabrate the compass by pushing the temp/com button and the F/C button
again and holding both down untill CAL is displayed and driving in SLOW tightcircles untill cal goes out.

Did you remove the rubber underengine splash sheild.

210 degrees under the hood will boost the ambent temp around the sensor.

It is located under the radiator crossmember on the bottom. I moved mine when I ripped off the splash sheild. Just to the right side off the Jeep under the Headlight area.

Good luck,

Lee

As for the declination [variance between magnetic and true north] get a topo map or stop by a military base and ask to see one for the area, look on the bottom center and you will see the variance, two lines in a V with the correct angle between them. Then look at the year of the map and add .5 deg per year if I remember right.
Sandiego is 15 degrees and LA is 16, SF is 17. A brunton or artillery compass has a screw on the side for setting this, almost forgot LARS and RALS, has to do with right add left subtract, left add right subtract, if you are in Aus it's the reverse kinda like a flushed toilet spinning the opposite direction down there from up here, coriolis effect :D
Here's more then you probably want to know :D
http://geology.isu.edu/geostac/Field_Exercise/topomaps/decl_setting.htm

All thanks for the replies. I remembered where the hell it was that I saw it.....a buddy of mine has an owners manual and that was where I read it. Everyone was spot on except for the variance. Here in Camp Pendleton the VAR is 5, it doesn't switch to 4 until past Irvine. As for the RALS, LARS...that I know is more like LAMS. If an angle is greater than 180* subtract 180 from the number for the back azimuth, if it is less than 180* add 180* to the number for the back azimuth.

Last edited:
jack96xj said:
All thanks for the replies. I remembered where the hell it was that I saw it.....a buddy of mine has an owners manual and that was where I read it. Everyone was spot on except for the variance. Here in Camp Pendleton the VAR is 5, it doesn't switch to 4 until past Irvine.

You talking mils or degs ?

Back