• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto-Shifter surround/indicator

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the plastic indicator/surround on my '99. I believe that this may be removed from the center console. Can anyone tell me how to get it off? I'm sure it's apparent once the console is removed, but I haven't gotten that far yet. :)

i have a 96 and a 5 speed but i dont think you have to pull the console to remove it. you should be able to carefully pry it out but you will have to remove the shifter handle first to do that just push the button in and pull up. hope this helps

The bezel should just pop out. I know it can just be pulled off on an 87, 93, and 01, and I would assume yours is the same as the 01. Just grab it in the shifter slot and pull. There may be some wires attached to it.

The bezel should just pop out. I know it can just be pulled off on an 87, 93, and 01, and I would assume yours is the same as the 01. Just grab it in the shifter slot and pull. There may be some wires attached to it.

Can anyone confirm? I'm taking stuff off a parts XJ tonight. I don't want to bust the thing and have to pay for it. I suppose I could try on my Jeep first.

No need to remove the console. Just pry it up, put the shifter down in 1-2, sit in the back seat and pull. the shifter knob should come off. Try not to put it through the back window though. :D

No need to get in the backseat or even move the shifter from park.

I've removed the shifter knob in 2 different '99s by just sitting in the driver seat, grabbing with both hands, and yanking up.

After that, just pop/pry the shifter surround off, as it is not held down by anything.

No need to get in the backseat or even move the shifter from park.

I've removed the shifter knob in 2 different '99s by just sitting in the driver seat, grabbing with both hands, and yanking up.

After that, just pop/pry the shifter surround off, as it is not held down by anything.

Confirmed that both came off without issue. Thanks for the help!

I made out well for $100 IMO

1 dark grey ecco wheel (factory spare - never used)
4 dark grey jeep wheel caps
1 automatic shifter bezel
4 power door lock actuators
1 front driveshaft

Back