• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Breaking Down in the Wilderness

MrSimon

NAXJA Forum User
For some of you guys that regularly head into the mountains and wilderness areas with only one Jeep .... what do you do if you have a breakdown that you can't fix? I'd imagine you can get into areas where there is no cell phone coverage, and it would be too far to walk out.

Does anyone carry a mountain bike with them just in case?

I suppose you should always leave a trip plan with a buddy so they can come look for you if you don't show up.

If alone always leave your route/schedule with someone. If you do have to hoof it out make sure to leave word at the vehicle when and in which direction your heading.

Being prepared beforehand by knowing where aid can be found is important as well. Knowing where a ranger station is located and the heavier traveled routes can assist with getting aid quicker.

Also being equipped with Ham radio equipment can get you help if needed

For some of you guys that regularly head into the mountains and wilderness areas with only one Jeep .... what do you do if you have a breakdown that you can't fix?
Preventative maintenance has worked just fine for me. 183,000 miles and counting! :)

orig.jpg

Preventative maintenance has worked just fine for me. 183,000 miles and counting! :)

Didn't you break a leaf on a trip once? Preventative maintenance didn't help you then. Of course you got out but it could have been something that broke that wasn't fixable or something you can drive out on.

I don't have anything against going out on your own. I did it today. 220 miles of dirt and I didn't pass a single other vehicle. People knew my route though.

orig.jpg

Yup, rearranged the leafs to splint it and ratchet strapped the axle to control wrap. Drove it off Behind the Rocks and 380 miles home like that! All of my immobilizing breakages so far have been fixed with ratchet straps.

orig.jpg

I'm glad to see that this thread hasn't degenerated into a "what if-fest" with all kinds of high tech solutions being tossed around, al la ExPo. :) If you are going out into the wilderness alone, you had better be comfortable working on whatever vehicle you are driving, as well as confidant in your abilities to deal with the unexpected.

Of course, having a simple, reliable vehicle such as a Cherokee helps too. :)

I'd think a Mtn. Bike might be a good idea to get out... maybe some freeze dried meals to get you by... under the rear seat with some bottled H2o and a small pot... a battery jump starter...
I had an "overnight" stay in Capital Reef a few years ago... down off a short side trail at the Cathedral Valley overlook... lost a relatively new battery... solo vehicle with my young family... First thing I did was block the main road with a long tree branch across it, made a note stating our need for help... then I walked to the campground about a mile away and left a similar note on the pit toilet door.
I/We were admittedly ill prepared so what little leftovers from lunch became dinner for the kids... as did the limited amount of water we had... the dirty bag of clothes became pajamas for the kids... and we settled in for the night.
Just before noon the next day I heard a car on the main road and they turned in our direction at my road blockage and note... I had cables just and in a few mins. we were running. We finished the loop with them and cannonballed back to Torrey. It's funny cause the kids were playing and having a great time on rocks and such... Momma was a wreck... I was thinking about plan "D" and such... the kids look back at it as a "GREAT TRIP" Momma still gets queasy :laugh:
Another funny thing is I'm from the low desert in So. Cal. Palm Spr. area. the couple who helped us... they were from the high desert in Joshua Tree about 60 miles away.
Just thought I'd share...

Curt

HAM and Spot are both great, if you can afford them. Personally, I just give intricate details of where I'm going (including coordinates if I have em) to somebody, usually my roommate. Other than that, I just stay prepared. I have food enough to last me three to four days and water for about a week.

I have been stuck by myself and had to hike for help and it sucks. If I am out alone now, I will get out and hike the trail in front of me first to check it out before I try to drive over anything sketchy.

HAM and Spot are both great, if you can afford them. Personally, I just give intricate details of where I'm going (including coordinates if I have em) to somebody, usually my roommate. Other than that, I just stay prepared. I have food enough to last me three to four days and water for about a week.

An amateur license will cost about $20 to take the test. A radio and antenna can be had for less than $250.

Why HF?

2m should be adequate.

2m is line of site, sometimes you can get further if the ionosphere is VERY active, or there is a temperature inversion both are rare. So if you are in a valley surrounded by mountains, 2 meters isn't going to do you much good. HF on the other had is mostly skywave, so it should work unless you are in a cave.

Also there are far more people on HF than there are on 2 meters.

Looking at those two pics is enough to think about an on-board welder.

The budget stick welder kind needs 2 or better 3 batteries in series to get the voltage high enough to get a good arc. These both say 3 batteries in series. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHJ0NSjZnM, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_hLobwoyhE
Maybe the higher $ type can step up the voltage on their own. In any case I've started collecting the pieces for one.

AL BUNDY
I have been stuck by myself and had to hike for help and it sucks. If I am out alone now, I will get out and hike the trail in front of me first to check it out before I try to drive over anything sketchy.
Bail early and often is my "wheeling alone" motto.

And yes, a printed map with highlighted route / waypoints stays with whomever (usually the wife.) Thought about SPOT. Going out by yourself is kind of a balance between challenging yourself and staying safe. I wonder if SPOT might provide create a false confidence. Not sure I like the idea of being followed either.

Last edited:
Back