• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Internal to external slave

90Blue_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have heard rumors of there being a way to convert the internal donut type slave cylinder to the external fork activated slave but as yet have not found anything written. Does anyone know if this is a myth or can you do something with the original internal bellhousing to convert it?
I know that you can swap in a newer style bellhousing but that is not a real conversion. Can this be done???

I don't know of a way.

You need a place to mount the slave, you need a fork & throwout bearing, and you need a pivot for the fork.

-Ron

Thanks Zuki, I will keep looking. I can get the aluminum welded if needed, but don't really know what needs to be welded and to exactly where it should be welded.

You need:
- Front Bearing Retainer
- Bellhousing and associated parts (clutch fork, pivot ball)
- Replacement hydraulics

It can be done, you just have to find the parts. From some of the digging I've done, they're not very cheap, either.

NB: The NV3550 uses the same bellhousing as the AX-15e, but I'm fairly sure the front bearing retainer is different. Still, it will open up your search area slightly... (The Dakota bellhousing will not work with the XJ - the Dak has the Dodge LA-block pattern, and the XJ has the AMC V8 pattern. However, the Dakota V6 did seem to follow the XJ as far as transmissions go...)

Back