• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airconditioning seizing?

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,

First of all, I know nothing about AC's, so I apologize beforehand for lack of sophistication in my question. I have searched, but couldn't find an answer that would get me anywhere from where I am, but feel free to re-direct me if I missed something.

Problem is simple (it seems). AC has always (had XJ for three years) been a little noisy, nothing too terrible and I learned to live with that. However, last week, after having the AC on for several hours, and stopping at a traffic light, I noticed the engine not running well, and revs intermittently dropping. Turned off AC, all well. Apparently a great deal of resistance has developed in the AC. I haven't used AC or defroster (which engages AC) since then since I am worried it may seize. Any thoughts on what I should check? Clutch, bearings? And what is the best way to check?

Thanks for any input!

Tim

How is the noise level now?

It's not the clutch bearing or it would continue to do that with the ac off.

It sounds like your compressor is seizing up. When you turn it on, your belt will start to squeel and burn off pretty soon. Not much to do except replace compressor. Or leave the AC off. If the AC clutch seized up, the AC wouldn't stop turning. You might be able to have the AC system purged and add compressor oil to the system, but my guess is that will not be too successful.

My A/C compressor froze. It is a very easy install. Order compressor online. Had to splice the old connector on the new compressor. I had a shop purge and recharge the system. Jeep is good to go.

Thanks for the input guys! Sorry for my late reply.

I just turned on the A/C to check the noise levels. Nothing out of the ordinary, just like before. Also, it never really got much louder (at least not that I noticed) but it just started to develop a lot of resistance (engined started to stall) when I ran it over long times. The XJ runs fine now, also with A/C on (just tried it for a minute or two). I still don't trust this though.

I actually don't mind not using the airco, in fact I don't use it much to begin with. However on damp/rainy days I really like to be able to use the defogger. Since that needs the A/C I want it fixed/reliable. Also, I just like to keep everything in working state, you never know.

Anyway, I guess I need to get a new/rebuilt compressor then? So by the sound of it there will be no scary refrigerator stuff involved when I replace that? Any suggestions where to buy a new compressor?

Thanks again guys!

Back