• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Primer

Baja_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Its time to re-primer my Jeep because the flat black is fading and needs redone. Im thinking about changing it up a little bit though but I cant decide what would look good. Its got to be a lacquer primer so it sands off easily. Before anyone says anything...it has fully preped DTM Epoxy primer and sealer under it, Im just using the lacquer as a top coat so to say to protect the Epoxy primer until its til to spray it for good. I cant decide whether to flat black it again or go gray or red...give me your input. Pics can be seen in the prerunner sections photogallery on page 5

Its time to re-primer my Jeep because the flat black is fading and needs redone. Im thinking about changing it up a little bit though but I cant decide what would look good. Its got to be a lacquer primer so it sands off easily. Before anyone says anything...it has fully preped DTM Epoxy primer and sealer under it, Im just using the lacquer as a top coat so to say to protect the Epoxy primer until its til to spray it for good. I cant decide whether to flat black it again or go gray or red...give me your input. Pics can be seen in the prerunner sections photogallery on page 5

Recall that primer is porous by design, and won't necessarily prevent rust. It is porous to encourange the colour coat to stick - but that means that it doesn't fully bar water.

Just sayin'... I've had primed metal start rusting in a few days.

So I'm confused. You put down some urethane dtm primer first (good job, step one right), and then coated it with more laquer primer? Not so good. Epoxy primer is very porous, and topcoating it with laquer primer, which is even more so, is just not a good idea. If you haven't had any rust or chipping from UV rays (epoxy isn't UV stable either) I would say sand it down and shoot some single stage urethane over the epoxy primer, or what's left of it. You can get hot rod flatz in any color you so desire, for extremely cheap. It won't soak up water, chalk, wash off with solvents, or water stain.

I started with DTM 2k Urethane then used Urethane sealer then used lacquer primer. I want to go with a hot rod flat red but I dont have time or money to fix the nickel size spiderweb cracks from rocks in the tops of the fiberglass so I want something with some decent build to have way cover them until I get around to doing the finish work next year

Back