• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF?! 2 different leaf packs on the front of my XJ!!!!

Goatslayer

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading up on this death wobble thing because I have it, although not as bad as some of the things I've read. So I'm under the front taking some pictures so I can ask questions here (cause I'm a total noob) and I notice what someone questioned in another thread I made about the front leaf packs...

BOTH FRONT LEAF PACKS ARE DIFFERENT :flame: :smsoap: :flame:

On the passenger's side there are 6 leafs, on the driver's side there are 5. To top it off, it's not like someone just "forgot" to put a leaf in, from one side to the other they are of different lengths.

This would probably explain why it feels like I'm leaning a little to the left while driving (before I busted the left rear shock mount).

Could this explain my DW as well? Or contribute to it? My uneducated newbness is leaning towards YES.

Now I've got to figure out exactly what leaf packs I need since this was a custom install.

I'm now in the mood to hurt someone...

Oh, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I guess this is a wrangler front axle (differential on the driver's side) and I need 4" of lift.

And yeah, my front springs on the passenger's side are bent where they connect to the rear mount. I'm online browsing right now for new leaf springs.

uneven springs can screw up your front end geometry giving you the DWs even if you have a good alignment and a proper trackbar.

Of course right now that's the least of your worries...

good luck with the "fix"

Sounds like the previous owner had a fatty girlfriend, and needed and add-a-leaf to compensate.

490Chaser said:
uneven springs can screw up your front end geometry giving you the DWs even if you have a good alignment and a proper trackbar.

Of course right now that's the least of your worries...

good luck with the "fix"

The alignment felt fine while driving, at least before I busted that rear shock mount. The steering wheel is 90 degrees off though.

Speaking of the trackbar...am I, ummm, missing something? Bear in mind this is leaf and not a coil front end...

front%20axle.jpg

That long ass bar with the 2 steering stabilizers is connected to nothing but either end and the shocks are connected to the leaf spring brackets. There's nothing that resembles an XJ track bar but this isn't an XJ front end.

I feel stupid...

CRASH said:
Sounds like the previous owner had a fatty girlfriend, and needed and add-a-leaf to compensate.

Actually, no, she wasn't.

Maybe I should fatten mine up so she balances me out?

Satanic Goatslayer said:
That long ass bar with the 2 steering stabilizers is connected to nothing but either end and the shocks are connected to the leaf spring brackets. There's nothing that resembles an XJ track bar but this isn't an XJ front end.

I feel stupid...

That long ass bar is your tie rod. It also appears that your passenger side leaf spring is bent. And technically you don't need a track bar with leaf springs, although it would reduce bumpsteer. Your DW might be caused by imbalanced tires, worn steering components, improper castor, etc. Looks like you have some repair and maintenance to look into.

That bar us your tie rod and connects t othe dirvers knuckle allowing you to steer, you need it, on stock style steerng there is only one stabilizewr/dampener and its mounted to the axle and to the drag link. Seeing you have two makes me wthint that the previous owner didnt replace many partys with new. The dampener is used to help cancel out some road noise. But many people complain of crappy steering and add another stabilizer which helps cause it hides all the slop in worn out components etc. I replaced all my ball joints and steering joints and am not even running one.

Lawn Cher' said:
That long ass bar is your tie rod. It also appears that your passenger side leaf spring is bent. And technically you don't need a track bar with leaf springs, although it would reduce bumpsteer. Your DW might be caused by imbalanced tires, worn steering components, improper castor, etc. Looks like you have some repair and maintenance to look into.

Yeah, passenger's leaf spring is bent. Best price I've found so far for a pair is $150 for a pair of Tuff Country 3.5" EZ Ride. That's for 87-96 Wrangler springs. I'd rather have heavy duty springs if possible so I'm still searching.

I have plenty of replacing to do now. Goatslayer is not amused...

CHUGLYxj said:
stupid question but are you sure that they are wrangler springs? I noticed that it is SOA and not SUA like YJ Wranglers.

Actually, I was told there's CJ springs all the way around.

I'll have to measure them and go by that I guess.

Crawl underneath while someone else moves the wheel back and forth....tighten/replace anything that moves before the tires do.

On a side note...in looking through your site there....you are a disturbed individual. :D

Rev

CJ and YJ springs will interchange front and rear but they have different leaf counts. Normally the 5 leaf pack go on the front and the 4 leaf on the rear. At least that's the way most Aftermarket lift springs are for the YJ's. Maybe crawl under the back and see if there not mismatched too.

Dingo

John B said:
IIRC CJ leafs are 2" wide compared to YJ being 2.5"? That'd make a quik ID.

The front springs are 2" wide so that means I need CJ leaf packs. Also, on the front set from the center of each bolt they measure at 45" long. I figured a length would help to 100% identify them.

That front passenger's side is tweaked worse than it looks. The mount in the front is tilted to the side a little because of the bent spring. [sarcasm]Whoo hoo![/sarcasm]

I need front leaf packs, 4" lift. I'm debating doing the rear as well, but at the moment it is a matter of cost. I also need to replace the rear shock mounts since I broke one. There's so many manufacturers out there, I gotta ask (and I'll start searching the forum)...who should I buy springs from?

Back