• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ versus 94 Grand Cherokee, 4.0 - AW4 differences

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I have been working on a 4.0 swap from a 92 XJ to a 94 Grand Cherokee, both with AW4s. The engine mount forks bolted on the blocks, while they look the same, are not. The Grand has about 1/4" inch wider spacing, and the XJs brackets will not work on the grands engine mounts (the rubber part is too big by 1/4th of an inch on the grand).

Also discovered today that the torque converter and flex plate are different on the grand. The bolt spacing for the four bolts that hold the flex plate to the torque converter is about 1" farther apart on one than the other.

I hope the difference does not go any further, but no doubt I will find out shortly.:eyes:

Does any one here know of any other pleasant surprises that might be waiting for me, like TCU, or CPS differences, or missmatched sensor plugs?

I know in 93 zj's with the 4.0 came with aw4. I'm pretty sure 93 was the only year.

Really? The only reason I never bought a Grand was the unreliable transmissions. Looks like I'll find a 93 and look for one with a AW4. Time for a comfy vehicle for my woman.

This is, was a 95 GC, stock with 4.0 and AW4.

The difference(s) seems to have been just the torque converter and flex plate, and engine mounts.

The fan clutch was much bigger, and the radiator is square, and I think a little bigger (not sure since it is square), but what was curious is it had a very large thick (1-1/2" thick) fan clutch and bigger mechanical fan than ours, and NO electric fan! The ECU seemed to be a little different too, different size and location.

Is the grand a ZJ?

This is, was a 95 GC, stock with 4.0 and AW4.

The difference(s) seems to have been just the torque converter and flex plate, and engine mounts.

The fan clutch was much bigger, and the radiator is square, and I think a little bigger (not sure since it is square), but what was curious is it had a very large thick (1-1/2" thick) fan clutch and bigger mechanical fan than ours, and NO electric fan! The ECU seemed to be a little different too, different size and location.

Is the grand a ZJ?

From Novak Conversions:
The Aisin Warner AW4 transmission is an automatic shift, four-speed overdrive transmission used in the 1987-2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee and MJ Comanche models. Its only year in the ZJ Grand Cherokee was 1993, and only with the six-cylinder.

The AW4 is found behind the AMC 4.0L (242 ci) I6 engine. The AW4 is also reputed to have been used behind the AMC 2.5 four-cylinder, though we have never seen this. A similar transmission is used in some Toyota RWD applications, known as the A340.

Gear Ratios for the AW4 are 2.80, 1.53, 1.00 & .75.

so you say you have a 95 that came with a aw4............ unless someone swapped it in its not a aw4

From Novak Conversions:
The Aisin Warner AW4 transmission is an automatic shift, four-speed overdrive transmission used in the 1987-2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee and MJ Comanche models. Its only year in the ZJ Grand Cherokee was 1993, and only with the six-cylinder.

The AW4 is found behind the AMC 4.0L (242 ci) I6 engine. The AW4 is also reputed to have been used behind the AMC 2.5 four-cylinder, though we have never seen this. A similar transmission is used in some Toyota RWD applications, known as the A340.

Gear Ratios for the AW4 are 2.80, 1.53, 1.00 & .75.

so you say you have a 95 that came with a aw4............ unless someone swapped it in its not a aw4

It is an AW4, absolutely no doubt about that. I have asked for verification that it is indeed a 95. It still belongs to the original owners. Perhaps it was special order then? It also is a 4X4!

He says it gets 16-20 MPG, not bad for a GC.

Also it is a Laredo.

42re is what the 4.0 came with that year. 46rh is the v8 tranny. jeep didnt come with a special order tranny in 95, those were the only two options a 42re and 46rh. the flywheel wouldnt match up to a aw4 and you would more then likely have to do some TCU work to make it shift correctly.

if it truly is a aw4 i wanna see some pics that would be a great setup if it came from the factory that way. :)
i know if you check out nagca.com and mallcrawlin.com there are some guys there that have done a aw4 swap but its pretty labor intensive.

42re is what the 4.0 came with that year. 46rh is the v8 tranny. jeep didnt come with a special order tranny in 95, those were the only two options a 42re and 46rh. the flywheel wouldnt match up to a aw4 and you would more then likely have to do some TCU work to make it shift correctly.

I think I miss understood your earlier post, seems it is the AW4 in 95, and not the 4.0 you were challenging, right?

One thing is for sure, the flywheel and torque converter were different, so we reused the ones that were on the ZJ, as well as the transmission and torque converter that were on the ZJ. Opps, now that I think about it, we did not pull the ZJ tranny (so I did not see it), just the XJ tranny. I was thinking of the XJ tranny, not the ZJ tranny when I said I was I sure it was an AW4, so you may be right!!!!!!

If that is the case, then the 92 XJ tranny and transfer case I saved off the 92 may not work as a spare for him on the ZJ, at least not as drop in spare!

your original post you said the 94 zj had a aw4 in it. aw4 was not offered in 94 only 93. theres no way without some intensive fabbing to get a xj 4.0 to mate up with a aw4 from a 94 zj especially since zj didnt come with the aw4 besides 93.

your original post you said the 94 zj had a aw4 in it. aw4 was not offered in 94 only 93. theres no way without some intensive fabbing to get a xj 4.0 to mate up with a aw4 from a 94 zj especially since zj didnt come with the aw4 besides 93.

Wow, It must be Mad cow (or heat stroke, gasp) getting me, it is a 95 ZJ, not 94, I titled it wrong. Memory defect, error, error. I just talked with him and it is a 95. I made the mistake of assuming it was an AW4 behind the ZJ 4.0, and I never got a good look at it because we did no pull it. Too much stuff going on recently, and I was just helping out a friend, so it was not MY project. Good catch.

Really? The only reason I never bought a Grand was the unreliable transmissions. Looks like I'll find a 93 and look for one with a AW4. Time for a comfy vehicle for my woman.

The early 93's had the AW4 then they switched to the 42re.

Related question now, The 42RE in the 95 Grand Cherokee (it was a 95 ZJ, not a 94), the dip stick (I am told lists dexron II and ATF-? on the dip stick. The owner tells me he used a multi spec Dexron II-III, ATF ? fluid to top it off.

He has had no problems, is not sure exactly what he used. They just took off for a 4 hour roundtrip, and I gave them some Dexron III/mercon just in case the hose leak returned, or whatever. (loose hose clamp tightened, and fixed the leak a week ago).

But I am not sure what the best fluid recommendation is now for the 42RE?

Is the Old ATF+3 compatible with Dex II, III?

Back