• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 differential vent

Tenny

NAXJA Forum User
This sounds like a stupid question I know...

But is there a differential vent on it? I can't seem to find one, and I thought somewhere I read there was.

I think I got some water in my differential from multiple water crossings (as the level is higher than the fill plug location). Could it have gotten in through the axle seals? I never have it leaking any oil, but now it's coming out slightly at the fill plug.

On the drivers side of the axle is the junction block for the hard brake lines and the soft line from the body. The vent tube nipple is in the middle of the junction block pointing up. It is no wonder you have water in the diff if the vent hose is not connected to the nipple.

Should be a vent with a hose on it. If the axle is hot when it goes in to water, it can suck in water past the axle seals. The vent should help for that, but probably does not prevent it totally. Probably a good idea to change the oil in the differentials and transfer case after your "multiple water crossings".

Should be a vent with a hose on it. If the axle is hot when it goes in to water, it can suck in water past the axle seals. The vent should help for that, but probably does not prevent it totally. Probably a good idea to change the oil in the differentials and transfer case after your "multiple water crossings".
Thanks, totally forgot there was one there, but it appears it got ripped off somehow. I kept checking everywhere but it totally slipped my mind.

Planning on changing all the fluids anyways!

and to straighten this bad boy out (picture was prior to leaking problem):
diff.jpg

Back