• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engines 2 intake manifold Vacuum Hoes ?

danny Benavidez

NAXJA Forum User
On my 2001 XJ 140K miles Do I need this Engines 2 intake manifold Vacuum Hoes ? after about 6 months the hose softtens up and at times pops off the Valve cover that the RPM's start over revving.

I'm going to get a new hose today and a clamp for both ends But also I think about just plugging up both ends with no hose at all

Anythink bad about that Idea ? :helpme:

en-off.jpg

en-on.jpg

You need that hose. Are you using the right kind of hose? Water hose won't last long. That hose lets the engine blowby (exhaust that gets past the rings and valve guides) to ge fed back into the engine intake. Some way older vehicles used to just have a road tube to vent the excess gasses back out into the atmosphere, but that can be messy and is also illegal. Make sure that the hose going from the air cleaner to the valve cover is clear also. The combination of those two hoses is what helps keep your oil cleaner for a lot longer also. THey should not pop off, as they are always under a vacuum. Use hose rated for that purpose.

Sorry about that I was cleaning my K&N air cleaner when I toke the photo

The original one broke and I use a water hose to replace it. I'll look for a new one (dealer type) at the junk-yard latter today

en-4.jpg

But what about the one that goes into the air box ? With the K&N filter. I guess I can drill a hole into the plastic tube for it but what doe this one do

Last edited:
That lets air into the valve cover. It goes through the airbox to get clean air. If it does not ever spit out oil, run it to your airtube, or stick a breather filter on the end. I have signifigant blowby, so I have the front grommet run into a catch can I made, with a breather filter on it.

Back