• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C delete?

So iv only used my a/c maybe 3 times over the past 4 years of owning my jeep, Iv seen a/c delete bracketes but cant seem to find then anymore. Its a 1996 4.0HO 5-speed. I figured id could see if i can get a little more MPG and a little horse power, if at all possible. Thanks!

id kinda like to know as well, im in the middle of my stroker swap and i never use my a/c and its starting to blow hot. ive seen something where someone turned their a/c pump into OBA. but i cant find the link

you will not get either. If the clutch on the a/c is not engaged (on) it is just free spinning. Which will be just like having an a/c delete pulley there so no real advantage of mpg or hp by do an a/c delete.

Although I'm impressed with how cheap that A/C delete kit was, magimerlin should be correct on the free spinning nature of the clutch. I know some guys in a group here have been looking into ways to relocate their alternator up to where the A/C was because they have problems with water/mud ingestion. The other option, which I chose to exercise, is to go the OBA route. It is more expensive than the delete or doing nothing, but depending on how thorough of a job you want to do and what kind of connections you have you can do it fairly economically. Just as an FYI, here is my post on how to do the A/C to OBA conversion:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=994978

Just some thoughts.

if you just want it gone, pickup a a/c delete pulley from the junkyard... or apparently napa...

you could also turn the a/c compressor into oba, or move the alternator up top, depending on what you want to do with the rig.

my alternator now lives there on my renix xj, but ive also fabbed up brackets to mount a dakota 130amp alternator on a friends 92 H.O.
its more work to move it on an H.O., but you guys are lucky enough to be able to buy a semi-drop in high amp alternator.

im like you, never used the a/c.... you may not get butt-dyno results, but it does drastically improve engine compartment free space.

I'd say if it's a trail rig, go the OBA route. I don't think you're going to see a hp/mpg increase by turning the empty pulley. Now if yo could figure out a way to dump one or more idler pulleys and run a shorter belt, you might get a little bit(maybe, but probably not noticeable.

Hey xcm: could you PM me a photo of your alternator setup? or link to a writeup if you did one? We want to do that to my buddy's race truck.

on mine (renix xj), i re-used the stock bracket, and made a very basic 2nd peice to hold the other side... i thought i bookmarked the writeup, but i cannot find it.
pics are on the 2nd page... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=944818&highlight=alternator+relocation&page=2

as a bonus, you do get rid of 1 pulley, and a significant ammount of belt... new belts are HALF the price... $40+ for a gatorback? no thanks, i'll take the $20 770k6.

let me know if you run a H.O., i didnt take any pictures of that, but i can have the guy email me some pics if you need them. the H.O. was more work, but more payoff, with the 130amp and all.

thanks a bunch

I was curious about the Autozone/Doorman/Motormite AC Bypass pulleys and did some research and it sounds like they will only fit 4.0 cherokees made from 91 - 93. Is there a difference for cherokees made from 94 -96? Can I still make it work?

Thanks

Back