• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shocks w/no bar pin needed-monroe

xray1971

NAXJA Forum User
1998 XJ 4wd w/ 2" budget lift. Bought some Monroe Sensatrac shocks and they have bar pins pre-installed. I am putting bar-pin eliminators on and need the shocks with no bar pins installed. 5'8" sleeve in the eliminators. Anyone know of a part # for stock height XJ monroe sensa-shocks with no bar pins installed? Monroe not much help on the phone nor was Advance Auto in town.

I ended up removing the bar pins, and swapping the bushings out with energy susp bushings

Spray the bar pins with lube, get a 2 x 4 and a BFH. Whack the bar pin with the hammer until it comes out.

I used 95 yj front shocks when I lifted mine and they don't have a bar pin in them.

What size shock bushings did you use?
measure your bar pin eliminator adapter and go to your parts store. Some are hourglass shape and some are cylindrical shape, note which ones first, or take the bushings out and bring the bushings and bpe's to the parts store and they can fix you up. I used to run f350 shocks in mine, So I had to mess with all the bushings to make things work. Going with an upper jks shock conversion will allow you to use an eye to eye shock, way easier to fine tune what shock you want to what kind of lift and travel you have

Thank you alot you guys I appreciate it. Put some Sensatracs (cross referenced them w/ no bar pin on Monroe web-site, and Advance Auto had them in stock) on the front today. Way to soft. Going to ride with them for a while and will prob. end up switching back to the Gabriel Ultra's I had on before on the front. Keeping the Ultra's on the rear. Just need to get a BFH to knock out the bar pins & install new bushings for the BPE's.
At least I am closer to being able to do some beginner off-road wheeling. :rof:

If anyone knows of any pro's and con's about brake line extension kit / relocating brackets vs. actual new line extensions (pretty expensive from what I see and I just wasted my extra money on Sensatracs) please let me know. I see Rusty's has a brake line extension kit (brackets) that does front and rear for 10 bones.

If anyone knows of any pro's and con's about brake line extension kit / relocating brackets vs. actual new line extensions (pretty expensive from what I see and I just wasted my extra money on Sensatracs) please let me know. I see Rusty's has a brake line extension kit (brackets) that does front and rear for 10 bones.

How much and what type of lift you running? At 4.5" I was able to straighten the hard line (remove the z shape) and mount the bracket lower down, and the stock lines were long enough for me, even when the sway bar was disconnected at full droop. Every lift is different though. Good luck.

Two inch budget lift from Rocky Road. 2" front spacers and longer rear shackles and 1/2" blocks. Do you think I even need to mess with extended brake lines?

Two inch budget lift from Rocky Road. 2" front spacers and longer rear shackles and 1/2" blocks. Do you think I even need to mess with extended brake lines?

maybe in the rear, fronts are good! maybe just straighten the hard line ,and redrill and mount em down a bit. Flex it out and see what you have for slack

From my search to find "custom" shocks to fit my lifted/modified XJ with a Ford 8.8 rear axle, Rancho's web site had the best information regarding shock end fittngs (types/measurements) and compressed/extended lengths. I couldn't find much info on the Monroe site.

Back