• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with brakes please...

wishbone

NAXJA Forum User
This should be an easy one for someone...

I think I stripped the head of one of my caliper pins last night. any suggestions as to getting it out? need to replace rotors/pads. None of my metric or standard allen wrenches seemed to fit, so I used a TORX, 45 i think, and that worked perfectly for all three other caliper pins, but just wouldn't grab the last one...
Thanks

X2 on vise grips.

Usually new bolts come with the "mounting kit" sold at NAPA or AZ, at least in our area. Should include 4 new bolts (and hex heads at that), 4 rubber boots, 2 "anti-rattle clips" for about 5 bucks.

The rubber boot I think youre talking about covers a metal sleeve that covers that bolt and would be a royal PITA to get threw. Your can go about removing the bolt several ways. I would use the vice grip meathod. You can take a grinder (or a file if you cant get your grinder in there) and flatten a side of the bolt for more grip. You can try to drill it out as well. Soaking it down with PB Blaster is always a good start too! Hope you get it off.

Got it off - I stuck a NEW torx 45 in there and it popped right out. I figured Id try a $0.10 tool, rather than a $20 replacement kit - I know, its the cheap way, but it worked!
Thanks all

Back