• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Lift or Not

sgtpeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ SE, 2WD, 4.0, AX15, 134K miles. I need to replace the original shocks (looking at Bilstein HD), and I'm also deciding what to do about the springs. In reading all the posts on here about these issues, I've started to wonder if I should do a small amount of lift. Are there any benefits I would gain by lifting it a little (up to 2")? Some things I've read seem to imply the handling/ride has been improved, but I wonder if that's just from adding newer, better components. I actually like the current ride qualities for the most part.

This is a totally stock XJ, and I'm fine with that. The tires are stock size. This is primarily street driven, with occasional off-roading on primitive roads. I'll also occasionally tow a pop-up camper. Money isn't too much of an issue. I can afford an OME kit for example.

As always, any opinions greatly appreciated.

Lifting it about 2" might help with bottoming out and will let you run a 30" tire which might be a little smoother on washboard roads. Not to mention it will look better. the OME kit is a good choice. They give a really nice ride.

Yep, X2 to what 98xj said. I really like the looks of an XJ on just a couple inches of lift but otherwise stock.

Oh, didn't see the 2WD part. Lame. Keep it stock.

Wife had a 98 2wd. We live on a dirt/gravel road.
I put a 2" coil spacer / shackle lift on it with 30" BFG all terrains and new Sensatrac shocks.
It was stiffer ride BUT it was also tighter as far as handling.

Hallo. The lift of only 2" has made from my Jeep a total different truck.
With 31"muds it is an amazing look.
Each day I do have the advantage of the lift ,with the jungle roads in Holland.
Jeeps are build, not bought. Lift it! :clap:

'92 XJ

Price of gas is on the way up in the long run. Lifting 2" means you are pushing about 120 square inches of box through the air. What's the point, especially on a 2WD? Looks?

What kind of mileage do you get now with the 2WD 5sp, just curious?

I bought new "stock" springs for my '98 XJ to get rid of the saggy old ones, ended up putting an extended shackle in the rear to get some lift as well. Wish I would have went OME instead. I hear the OME's give a better ride and better load carrying capability.

I did have some issues with driveline angles with the extended shackle, but with your longer DS in the rear (??), maybe it won't be an issue.

Shackles and spaces aren't going to change the ride at all, just make it lean more in the turns. Putting higher arc leaves and longer coils on has the potential to change the ride. Raising with stiffer springs of stock geometry will only make the ride harsher and raise it a little.

Just my opinion. Consider spending the lift $ on a limited slip / locker of some kind.
My goals with our 1996 ( 2 w.d. 4 cyl. AX-5 ) are the same as yours, explore dirt back roads but don't get stuck.
I bought a used PowerTrax Limited Slip from a fellow NAXJA member and couldn't be happier, very livable on the street and great off road.
(I don't think I'd get an Aussie Locker, they might be a bit to rough with a manual trans.)
One more thing, what gear ratio do you have? Even with my 4.11 gears and 29" tires, at times it's hard to go slow enough without a low range transfer case.

Just my opinion. Consider spending the lift $ on a limited slip / locker of some kind.
My goals with our 1996 ( 2 w.d. 4 cyl. AX-5 ) are the same as yours, explore dirt back roads but don't get stuck.
I bought a used PowerTrax Limited Slip from a fellow NAXJA member and couldn't be happier, very livable on the street and great off road.
(I don't think I'd get an Aussie Locker, they might be a bit to rough with a manual trans.)
One more thing, what gear ratio do you have? Even with my 4.11 gears and 29" tires, at times it's hard to go slow enough without a low range transfer case.

He will be having 3:07's in there. 235's are OK, tried 30x9.50 bfg at/ko's and did notice the power difference even with that half inch. I run the 30's on the TJ so the swap to test was easy.

The ride will be worse if you lift it because of the control arm angles. Leave it stock

Not necessarily but I do agree its 2wd, unless you plan on converting to 4wd or running in JeepSpeed races there really is no reason to lift.

What kind of mileage do you get now with the 2WD 5sp, just curious?

Well, I've had people not believe me, but..... For two years I ran it with the tires that came with it from the previous owner and were not a very aggressive tread and they were getting worn. I'd average 26/27 mpg highway. I did this consistently and most of my averages were taken on a stretch of 96 miles I do twice a week. When I put AT Dueler Revos on it, my highway mpgs started averaging 23-ish. I knew when I bought these tires they'd have more rolling resistance. But I drive the jeep as a second vehicle and I'd rather have better stopping power.

I've started thinking about doing this after reading posts on here. The gearing is 3.07. It's also the 8.25 axle.

WOW, you get slightly better mileage than I do in my 4 cyl., but with 4.11's I can go a bit slower over the rocks.
Since we have about the same goals you might be interested in how I did mine.
With 2 w.d. we have a bit more clearance (straight front axle, no "pumpkin") than 4x4. I added factory front and rear skids, if the front clears, I'm good. With the PowerTrax Limited Slip I won't get "stuck" on wet grass or a boat ramp. When I flex enough to get one rear wheel completely off the ground and I don't even notice unless I get out and look.

I had an '86 XJ with the 2.5L FI, 5 sp, and 4x4 (no lift). I could get 25 MPG's when going 60. Now with my '98 XJ with the 4.0L/AW-4, I'm lucky if I can hit 20 MPG's going with the wind down a hill.

I guess my '86 did have the front axle disconnect. :D

Back