• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Swap

fuster33

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, new to the site got a quick question. My 1989 cherokee motor started knocking and its time for a new one. I have a lead on a 97 cherokee motor and was told if I take the new motor down to only block and head that I could swap my parts on to it. Any info on this would be great.
Thanks,
Dustin.

you have a few options on using the 97 emgine.

do a search as this has been done many times.

important thing is that you use the 89 electronics on the 97, including the 89 flywheel/flexplate.

the easiest swap would be just the 97 block and use the head/intake/exhaust/flywheel/distributor from the 89.

are you sure your 89 engine is bad? have you done a compression test or any other diagnostic for the source of the knock. when does it knock? at idle or through the entire rpm range?

It happens on start up and seems to be getting worse. My mechanic has allready taken the valve couver off and ruled out any valve noise and such. It seems to be knocking at higher RPM.

Back