• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backpacking in VA

Cnickgo

Do you need assistance?
We found this spot on Rip Rap Trail during a day hike and knew then we would have to load up the packs and make the trek. 5 years later the time was right to do it! 5 miles in, 5 miles out. 2,225 feet elevation change on mostly rocky conditions. The NPS rates the trail strenuous and difficult.

4.5 hours on the road and we finally pulled off the Skyline Drive at the parking lot, ate our "last meal", Subway, and threw the packs on.
DSCN0384.JPG

Why it's called Rip Rap trail:
DSCN0387.JPG

DSCN0388.JPG

DSCN0390.JPG

Arrived at the first overlook:
DSCN0393.JPG

DSCN0397.JPG

and then the second overlook, Chimney Rock:
DSCN0400.JPG

DSCN0401.JPG

The "Simba" pose with my pup:
DSCN0407.JPG

Wanted to climb to the furthest chimney:
DSCN0409.JPG

On the edge:
DSCN0411.JPG

Walking on the edge of the mountain, through an old burn area:
DSCN0413.JPG

This is most of what hiking in VA looks like, except the trail is nice and smooth at this point:
DSCN0419.JPG

First sighting of Cool Creek:
DSCN0421.JPG

Steps built in the stream (logging?):
DSCN0422.JPG

Our destination:
DSCN0441.JPG

DSCN0428.JPG

The bridge to cross:
DSCN0429.JPG

Set up camp:
DSCN0433.JPG

My sleeping arrangement:
DSCN0434.JPG

Doesn't get much better than this:
DSCN0438.JPG

Some sights around camp:
DSCN0431.JPG

DSCN0446.JPG

DSCN0449.JPG

Dinner the first night was Beef Stroganoff. It was my first time dehydrating beef, and actually turned out well. It didn't rehydrate very well, but was not chewy and certainly tasty (just don't mind the sodium content!).

The second night I served Chicken & Dumplings w/green peas. Mmmm... I'm getting hungry thinking of it now.

Breakfast consisted of mashed potato/powdered egg mix, which we created to reduce the horrors of powdered eggs. Augmented with oatmeal and a Clif bar.

All cooking was done on either my Jetboil or my buddie's MSR. My Jetboil can crank out some heat, no waiting for coffee in the morning or boiling water anytime. I would have used it for all the cooking but I haven't gotten the pot stabilizer and 1.5 liter pot yet, so dinners were cooked on the MSR.

Lunches were served ala MRE. Not my favorite option, but they insisted. I did find this cool item:
DSCN0443.JPG

Our day of rest we spent swimming and exploring the area. My buddy has most of the pictures from that, I'll post later. We ended the day with the usual BSing over a fire, until an unusual visit from a Whippoorwill. He had been upended from another bird, chased it over our camp, and became extremely interested in our fire. He hovered ~7 feet above us for a couple seconds before flying off. I didn't catch that on camera, but I do love this shot:
DSCN0454.JPG

We stayed dry until the second night, which continued into the morning and during our hike out. The rain cover in my Dueter pack proved it's purpose. Encountered very small wildlife:
DSCN0460.JPG

...and encountered very large wildlife. Up on a ridge, about halfway back to the truck, I heard a high pitch bark. I stopped my dogs and leashed them thinking it was another dog coming down the trail, which was odd in the rain. We walked 10 feet further and around a turn was a large black bear. The oh chit factor hit us for a second before making a lot of noise and yelling, which sent the bear running as we hoped. It wasn't until SHE took off that I spotted her brand new cub, only a couple weeks old, barely larger than my pups. Certainly a heck of an experience, and very I'm glad I had my pups on heel when I couldn't see very far down the trail.

It was a great trip, everything we had been dreaming of. We did have a decent amount of hikers during the day visit, and we discovered an alternate way to the pool that is only 2 miles and flat. Disappointing for the solitude factor, but good to know so that my buddie's Dad can make the trip again. His rebuilt knee made the hikes very difficult for him, so next year we are going to drop him off at the flat entrance.

My pack was right at 30 lbs as a final weight (with food/water). I usually aim for 20 lbs dry, but had to make some exceptions for hiking with a group.

Finally, the pups warming up on the drive home:
DSCN0462.JPG

Nice! Some beautiful area up in the Mountains of VA. If you ever get a chance to go to Washington DC and are not in a hurry, I suggest taking the scenic way going up HWY 29...some beautiful areas too...some that you wouldn't expect to see in those parts of VA.

Nice! Some beautiful area up in the Mountains of VA. If you ever get a chance to go to Washington DC and are not in a hurry, I suggest taking the scenic way going up HWY 29...some beautiful areas too...some that you wouldn't expect to see in those parts of VA.

Yup, been there. My grandparents live in Fairfax.

Jack Russell and Sheep Dog mix?

Exactly.

Back