• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent starting problem

Kate

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys, I hope you can help me out once more.

My '89 Cherokee, 4.0 with automatic, has once again developed a starting problem. I rebuilt the NSS, and that worked for awhile, so it now is bypassed. I had a new fuel pump put on about 50,000 ago, and I am suspecting that, since it is a Bosch product, and the first one the shop installed was bad. I had a hard time convincing the "mechanic" of that the next morning, but I got my Irish up and he finally tested it just to get rid of me.

What is maddening is that it will start just fine, then later will just grind. It doesn't matter if it is warm or cold. I borrowed a friend and went to tow him home tonight, and he started on the second try. This morning, I could not get him started to save my soul. Any suggestions for a poor old granny who really doesn't want to climb underneath and change a fuel pump all by herself?

Thanks,
Kate

Back