• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle advice???

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So,
I am still trying to see what is happening in my front axle, so I need some advice.

This is on a stock 90, with a disconnect that I have shimmed with washers.

But on the drivers side, I have been getting some occasional noise.
I pulled the axle out on the drivers side, replaced the hub, and I did the U-joints and they look fine. Filled the diff with Redline gear oil.

IS there something where the splines of the axle join the differential that can fail? Could the PO driven around in 4WD on dry pavement and done some damage?

When I put the axle in and turn it, the front drive shaft turns, which I think is normal, but on one occasion, when I turned it, the drive shaft did not turn?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

So,
I am still trying to see what is happening in my front axle, so I need some advice.

This is on a stock 90, with a disconnect that I have shimmed with washers.

But on the drivers side, I have been getting some occasional noise.
I pulled the axle out on the drivers side, replaced the hub, and I did the U-joints and they look fine. Filled the diff with Redline gear oil.

IS there something where the splines of the axle join the differential that can fail? Could the PO driven around in 4WD on dry pavement and done some damage?

When I put the axle in and turn it, the front drive shaft turns, which I think is normal, but on one occasion, when I turned it, the drive shaft did not turn?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Have you had the cover off? The side/spider gears could have damage. could also be a carrier bearing. All of which are easy to replace on a D-30

Thanks for your reply,
Yes, I had the cover off, checked things over, and saw no metal shavings or anything that looked out of shape, and the side gears looked ok, but I don't have the experience. As far as the bearing, is there a bearing on the shaft or on the pinion coming in on the drive shaft side.

Any advice or links would be great.
Thanks,again
Bob

Thanks for your reply,
Yes, I had the cover off, checked things over, and saw no metal shavings or anything that looked out of shape, and the side gears looked ok, but I don't have the experience. As far as the bearing, is there a bearing on the shaft or on the pinion coming in on the drive shaft side.

Any advice or links would be great.
Thanks,again
Bob

The only bearings on a D-30 are the inner and outer pinion bearings and the 2 carrier bearings. The carrier bearings are on each side of the ring gear/carrier. Then there are the uni-bearings or hubs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the disconnect axle has a bushing near the CAD, that could be your issue. I'm not as familier with the disco axle as I am a the non disco 30.

Back