• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ steering swap?

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
Is this a good way to go when upgrading. I don't really want to fork over 400 for currie's setup. Opinions on the ZJ swap I would appreciate yes.

depends on what lift height and what type of wheeling.

it works for me on my 89 with 4.5" of lift.

the tierod is solid and with only one adjusting sleave as opposed to the xj tierod.

the draglink is the same as the xj from 91 and up ibelieve. the zj drag link is only an upgrade for the renix.

ZJ is better than stock. Currie is better than ZJ.

I like my Currie setup. It's way stonger than the stock stuff, bolts right in, retains stock steering geometry, and requires no "re-engineering" or additional parts/modifications to use. It is the best heavy duty plug-n-play option I found.

I like my Currie setup. It's way stonger than the stock stuff, bolts right in, retains stock steering geometry, and requires no "re-engineering" or additional parts/modifications to use. It is the best heavy duty plug-n-play option I found.

are the angles of the TRE the same as stock or are they different for better operating angle for higher lifts?

I really like that setup Pacific. The thing is its a little pricey for me currently. Who knows. I may just fork over the money and go with it.

I'm at about 6". Short arms. Adjustable track bar. etc. etc.

I am running the ZJ setup, is a bit more beefy.
Question my TRE at the knuckles seem pretty long, as in the dust boot is barely squished at all when all is torqued down. Is this normal? Are the ZJ TRE larger?

I really like that setup Pacific. The thing is its a little pricey for me currently. Who knows. I may just fork over the money and go with it.

I'm at about 6". Short arms. Adjustable track bar. etc. etc.

do you have control arm drop brackets?

are the angles of the TRE the same as stock or are they different for better operating angle for higher lifts?

The TRE are made to work with lifts. They have an offset that keeps them from binding. I run mine with a 4.5" lift and it works really well.

Who says? The Currie is 1.25" hollow is it not? The ZJ is what, 1" solid? So how is one better than the other? If anything the fact that the ZJ is available anywhere (NAPA, Autozone, Kragens) at about half the cost of the Currie puts it ahead in my book.

Who says? The Currie is 1.25" hollow is it not? The ZJ is what, 1" solid? So how is one better than the other? If anything the fact that the ZJ is available anywhere (NAPA, Autozone, Kragens) at about half the cost of the Currie puts it ahead in my book.

i thought the currie steering was solid as well?

Currie is solid.

I never said the ZJ stuff was the best. I said it is better than XJ. I think my assessment of the Currie is correct in relation to XJ and ZJ steering systems.

Do you have any clearance issues with the sway bar mounts on your axle? The knuckle on my stock steering hits the passenger side mount at full droop. I'd imagine the thicker bar stock of the Currie would just exaggerate the problem. Please tell me I'm wrong.

LSBMBracket1.jpg

Do you have any clearance issues with the sway bar mounts on your axle? The knuckle on my stock steering hits the passenger side mount at full droop. I'd imagine the thicker bar stock of the Currie would just exaggerate the problem. Please tell me I'm wrong.

LSBMBracket1.jpg

I have no issues with the Currie system hitting the swaybar links. I was worried about this but so far so good.

I just put a HP 30 with ZJ steering parts on it under my '01. I had to pull off my factory engine skid until I can modify it to clear, and I have the same issue as fyrfytr1717 with the contact at the sway bar link attachments. The left side is no big deal, but the right side is hitting as solidly as his is, perhaps more so.

Doug

Last edited:
I'm at stock height and went with the ZJ V-8 upgrade. The difference between that and a XJ is the draglink. The XJ's are hollow and the ZJ is solid. Swap went great. I went with all Moog parts.

Back