• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whistling noise coming from the motor when idling

XJFisher

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy, so this has stumped me for many months and I have no idea what it is. But when I start my jeep and it is idling it will begin to whistle really loudly and it sounds like it is coming from my AC lines?? Does any one know what this is and how to fix it?

Have a similar problem. Someone came with the great idea to take a hose(1 mtr) and plug one end to your ear and the other end to try locate the noice source.
A tip is one of the top vent of the valve cover.

Post your result.

If it whistles with the AC off, it can't be the AC lines. If it is all the time, it is a vacuum leak. The hose (or I like a short length of 1.5" or so PVC pipe) trick helps. If your idle is not too high, it is probably a small leak in the vacuum lines. Check the connections including at the vacuum reservoir.

Be EXTRA CAREFUL to keep the hose or tube away from moving parts, belts, fan's, etc.

"Sweeping" the end of the hose while listening for a loudness peak can help locate source.

Again - BE EXTRA CAREFUL!

O

Be EXTRA CAREFUL to keep the hose or tube away from moving parts, belts, fan's, etc.

"Sweeping" the end of the hose while listening for a loudness peak can help locate source.

Again - BE EXTRA CAREFUL!

O

Totally agree....safety first!.....says the guy who sits in Iran, Tehran.
(just now it is blizzard and thunder outside....possible wet pro-green demonstrators now)....and for your info...I just work here for a temporary basis, time and place , uhh.:gee:

Oseberg- Good Luck & Safe Travels!

-------

OP Progress???

O

First of all: No Travels. They are restricted. Loooong days and evening. Boring ! ( no cell phone ore limited connection, no satelite TV, very low internett speed and gov. filter on almost anything). Ahh, remenber one thing for 3 weeks ago. Sitting in my sofa with the laptop and wanted to order some parts from Morris4x4. Not possible, site was blocked !!!. This f..me up, so I sent a mail to the "filter guys" in Iran and asked for dispansation. Surprisingly...it is no open :)

Second: Lower demonstration level yesterday.(bad weather). Today the supreme leader(Ayatholla K.) will have his friday speach at the university. Many people awaiting for some positive vibs. But, rock bottom, this is not a revolution yet and a possible mutual agreement of the election result will be achieved. Feel some sorry for the Iraniens because they deserves a real democracy, not the religious "democracy" regime that is here today. You know, the basic iranian are a smily face and very friendly with us foreigners, I like this people and wish them all the best.

Last edited:
Back