• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help.

Zav009

NAXJA Forum User
Hey this is my first time on here. So i have a 95 cherokee sport with about 150,000 miles.
Well when i put it in reverse from park it clunks in the rear end. it also clunks when you let off the gas. I visually checked the mounts and they all seem to be ok. I think it might be the U joints.
I read on here that you can test it by putting the jeep in nuteral and seeing if the drive shaft has any play in it. Well I did that test and it does rotate 1/4 inch or less each direction. I wasent sure if i tested it right, so if someone can give me some insight on this issue would be great.
Also it seems like the fan comes on alot(like ever 10 seconds or so). The gage doesent say that its overheating. Any one know anything about that? thanks for any info.

Did you look to see where the free play is? If it is in the u-joints you will see it there. If the whole drive shaft has the free play look at where the shaft goes in to the housing. That will show if it is internal to the rear end.

I did with it in nuteral and it did rotate, but it looked that the shaft comming out of the diff and transfer case rotates. But it does not rotate when it is in park

Back