• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Swap Older XJ seats into a newer XJ?

Bigger_Is_Better

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know if this is the appropriate category for this question or not. If not I apologize ahead of time.

I didn't do my research before I made a seat purchase and now I'm in a pinch. I have a 96 and I bought a set of 89 seats. They are leather and both electric. The problem (as I'm sure most of you know) is that they don't mount the same. My question is have any of you done this swap? If so how?

Thanks In Advance,
Aaron

I went the other way, I put seats from a 1993 country into my 1987. The 93 seats were electric, I removed the seats from the electric bracket and put the seats on the 1987 standard brackets. If yours are all electric, and that is what you want, you should be fine swapping the brackets. It was not difficult to switch the brackets, and I assume it would work in your case. I believe there is four screws holding the seat to the mount, 1/2" bolts it looks like.

Last edited:
Did the 93 have the brackets that curve down in the front. My 96 bolts into a brace with the bolt parallel to the actual floor. Here's a pic that kind of shows it.

DSC03083.jpg

Here's the bottom of the 89.

DSC03079.jpg

I'm not sure what you are asking.
This is one of the 87 seats, bolted to what I believe is the pasenger side (non electric) 93 bracket. Now it's my TV chair.
seat801.jpg

That bolt that is kinda behind the slide lever is one of the seat-to-bracket bolts, another is visible to the right. It is very possible that the 96 brackets are different, as I can't really recognize what is shown in your 1st picture.

Last edited:
I got a chance to remove my passenger bucket today and sit the older bucket in there. Man, they changed the seat bases a lot. I think since the seats have so much adjustment I'll be able to drill and bolt them in where they are. They'll just be able to go further back than normal. That should be ok since I think I may ditch the rear seat anyway. I'll take a piece of flat bar stock and put it under the floor to give it strength in case the metal is thinner where I drill. Other than that they look so much more comfortable!

Aaron
DSC00149.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

Here's the original.

DSC00150.jpg

Back