• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Issue

nobutada55

NAXJA Forum User
I have a problem that is like possible starter DW. The steering wheel moves from left to right (Only moves once) when I hit bumps no matter what the speed, it also makes a knocking/clunk noise. I checked the track bar mount bolts and the bolt at my axle they are tight. I replaced my u-joints and hub bearings less that 600 miles. Any advice is appreciated. :helpme:

1999 sport with 121k I understand that the parts are old and worn but with limited part I would like to know whats wrong.

It sounds like your steering box has some slop in it. To Check, have one person turn the steering wheel back and forth with the jeep and look to see if the steering shaft is turning but not the pitman arm. Make sure the jeep if off when you do this but with the key turn to the on position so the steering wheel wont be locked. This is the same problem i am having.

I am unable to check the underside of the jeep right now but by turning the jeep on and standing at my fender I can see my wheels move as I turn the wheel there seems to be very little play in the steering wheel. One more thing is that I did grease all my tre's like a week ago and it didn't help any. The only thing I can move is my draglink and tierod, I can rock the front and back with my hands.

Last edited:
Yah Mine are squooging out of my lower control arms as well and pretty much have the same problem. I rechecked the toe in and balanced my tires to get the wobbly out of it a little. But my control arms are awaiting their replacements still thanks to some backordered RE springs.

Back