• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ: Possible H2O sensor problem?

aallppiinnee

NAXJA Forum User
While driving on the interstate I noticed my water temperature gauge was not registering an engine temperature. By the time I get home, the gauge has already moved up to its normal temperature and then died several times. Whenever I try to start the engine when the gauge is not registering a temp. the startup is very rough and difficult, requiring me to use the gas pedal. However, when the guage is registering a temp. it starts with barely a full crank. Could this be my water temperature sensor? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! (99 4.0L 4x4 XJ VIN:1J)

Re:

Just by looking at the engine I was able to guess which part is the coolant sensor. I unclipped the wires and then reinserted a few times to clean the connection terminals. After that, the Jeep started like it always has - barely a single crank.

Unfortunately, I decided to remove the connection when the engine was warm and the key was in the RUN position to see if the temp gauge would cut off again. It did - now the check engine light is on.

How can I reset it?

I'm convinced everything is fine and that the connection was just loose and dirty.

Thanks,

Alpine

Well that was a cheap and easy fix, Alpine.:thumbup:

Just disconnect the battery for a few minutes to turn off the MIL.

Back