• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad ground???

peanut1881

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 92 xj that has a blue spark going from the timing chain cover to the harmonic balancer and when it sparks it makes a snapping noise almost like the snap of a electric fan kicking on. i have no idea why its doing this and dont want to drive it in fear a it starting a fire

any suggestions???

The harmonic balancers have a tendency to come apart at the rubber joint between the inside part and the outside part? Then the balancer hits on the timing chain cover. Look at that closely for clearance and signs of the rubber disintegrating.

i just put a new timing chain cover on it and the harmonic balancer looked good. it was doing this before i did the cover but i did not know what it was until i took the fan shroud off and could see the sparking. before that i could just hear the snapping sound (it sparks every 1 to 2 sec)

Spark plug wires arcking. Start pulling plug wires to see if the spark gos away. Chances are you will get zpped if this is the case, so dont do it with the car on. get zpped and Your knuckles may feel funny for a while.

Regaurdless if it gos away when you pull wires you probably have a wire/s with bad insilation and or cracked.

By pull i mean run the engine with 5 cyclenders and just kep trying the next cyclender.

Back