• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Bumpers

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a local guy that is going to build some bumpers, a roofrack, and sliders for me. He is going to Charge me $275 for labor for the front bumper I figure 20 labor hours making the front its a simple 2x4x1/8 Steel tube laid on its side and re-enforced in the middle with a winch play or 1/4" as well as the mounts for it and 2 D ring shackles. Is this a fair Idea? He says the steel will cost about $100-$110 so a new bumper for $385 built to my specs. Is this a good deal coming from you guys the fabricators?

Tyler

FlatBlack1990 said:
I have a local guy that is going to build some bumpers, a roofrack, and sliders for me. He is going to Charge me $275 for labor for the front bumper I figure 20 labor hours making the front its a simple 2x4x1/8 Steel tube laid on its side and re-enforced in the middle with a winch play or 1/4" as well as the mounts for it and 2 D ring shackles. Is this a fair Idea? He says the steel will cost about $100-$110 so a new bumper for $385 built to my specs. Is this a good deal coming from you guys the fabricators?

Tyler
it depends.

what color is your Jeep?

what color is he painting the bumpers?

will the roof rack and sliders be the same color?

Does he know anything about the requirements for building a bumper for an XJ?What design are you using?

Yes it sounds like a good deal, but that's all I can say. I've seen some bumpers (non-XJ) built by local metals shops that I wouldn't run if they paid me. They looked ok but were built using stock mounts or something not up to the task. Just make sure he's going to build the mounts the way you want them to be and the rest should be ok.

sounds good, but you can get a beefy ass bumber from rocklizzard or jcr for a hundred bucks more, and you know its built right and it wil FIT. as far as making one, i built mine. i used 4*6 tubing and then 1/4 flat stock for the mounts that runall the way throught the bumper and then two other pieces of flat stock on either side of the mount making a 3/4 shackel mount coming out from the bumper. your mounts should use all the bolts you can in the front end like the steering box and all that.

does he have pics of other such products he has made? Can you talk to other customers references ? If you go with a nice shop like JCR or rigid you get a known quantity, and known quality. The value from design to your door for what you get is hard to beat for JCR or rigid.

If this guy really is skilled and just hard up for money, could be a amazing deal if he is trying to put food on the table. Dont get hustled though.

important things to ask.

how is he going to mount the roof rack? to the stock roof holes, or the drip rails ?

i would show him pics of JCR rails or AJ offroad or whos ever you like and say COPY JUST LIKE THIS!

same with the bumper mounts. Show him where the rigid mounts or atleast JCR and say i want it tied into the frame.

Maybe he has a pile of steel already and needs money. Some deals are to good to be true though .... for a reason

Ok, so it may or may not be a good deal, just kinda matters on his skills? But if his skills are good enough then $385 isn't a bad deal? Thanks for all of the replies. And Mogified he moved up here from washington and is looking to get his name out, I said i would sport a sticker or two for a price drop.

more or less i was asking WHY he would make it so cheap, custom one off stuff takes time to talk and draw up and then hopefully you are 100 % happy with what you were imagining compared to the end result. Thats a good price for established designs. I am just hopeing he needs some cash, and isnt gonna half ass it, and give you a pile of crap.

see if he can show you some pics of other stuff he built before, or has other customers that repeat business etc. :thumbup:

rehab can u pm me or email me or post a reply or something....... i jus need to kno EXACTLY what u did as im looking to do my bumper. and if not a complete bumper then cut holes... mount d-ring brackets to go through my stock bumper and put my stock bumper on and make it looks clean and stock. THANK YOU!

Alright im goinng tio do it, sorrty i just got back from s drunk bowling for my squadroin. I'm suppose to start6 t at the beginng of next week. I'll post picsa as doon as posible

tyler

Back