• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wont Start..... after cleaning engine bay..?!

Shred Bro Gnar Rad

NAXJA Forum User
Soo after a weekend up at Green Ridge state park i was driving home and my lower rad hose blew. towed it to my shop and replaced it the next day. the truck did overheat and it did stall on me on the side of the road though.

Replaced the hose and filled up with coolant and decided to power wash my engine bay... (i do this to like 5-10 customers a day) Powerwash then Air dry then WD40 the elctricals.

I then proceed to start my jeep, and nothing. it turns over but wont fire.

i took my Dist. cap off made sure it wasnt wet and dried it up. made sure my Spark plug wires were dry as well. WD40'd the sensors and whatnot also.
i was like fuggit and let the jeep sit over night.

come back to the shop this morning... try to start it, same thing. so i replaced my Crank pos. sensor. go to start it nothing still...

its a 1990 renix 4.0L w/ 202,000 miles. it ran nice and strong right before i power washed it so i dont think i damaged anything when it overheated...

HELP!!! what can cause this bitch it not turn over......

i come from Nissans and Hondas and making them go fast so im not used to a muddy cake walk on this old hunk of shit.

thanks in advance!

Mistake #1 Never Power wash an engine and if you have to for some unknown reason(s) you bag off all and any electronic items.
If a customer when I am detailing wants the engine bay cleaned, I do my best to avoid direct or hard pressure on any electrical items.
Now to solve your issue are you getting spark to the plugs? If so is it then getting fuel?

its getting very little spark... and it is getting fuel.

and every service we do for a customer we simple green then power wash the engine bay high pressure air dry it then WD40. i guess u can do that to a jeep LOL... i work on hondas and acuras all day.

i am checking my Coil right now...

I used to love using the word rad(anybody old enough to remember the movie?). Anyhow, a few months ago, I accidentally took out the psc1 from not being careful enough when spraying down the firewall(big dope). I've read that the IAC on the tb can easily be taken out by h2o. Have you tried checking all the fuses and relays?

i guess its different washing an engine bay of a Honda than a 1990 jeep...

my dad has been doin it for 25 years.. it used to be a dealership thing..

found out that it doesnt have fuel.. and the spark is weak as XXXX.

i cant hear the fuel pump either.

i power wash my engine after every trail ride i go on i just aviod hitting the electronics and it starts every time

ive powerwashed/washed my engine bay easily 50+ times, and friends with jeeps have also done it countless times, with no issues.

i dont use the pressure from the powerwasher to clean the engine. i use a TON of degreaser, let it sit for 10 mins and then come back and spray it down. ive never really avoided anything, but at the same time i dont sit there with the gun 2 inches from everything blasting away

Soo after a weekend up at Green Ridge state park i was driving home and my lower rad hose blew. towed it to my shop and replaced it the next day. the truck did overheat and it did stall on me on the side of the road though.

Replaced the hose and filled up with coolant and decided to power wash my engine bay... (i do this to like 5-10 customers a day) Powerwash then Air dry then WD40 the elctricals.

I then proceed to start my jeep, and nothing. it turns over but wont fire.

i took my Dist. cap off made sure it wasnt wet and dried it up. made sure my Spark plug wires were dry as well. WD40'd the sensors and whatnot also.
i was like fuggit and let the jeep sit over night.

come back to the shop this morning... try to start it, same thing. so i replaced my Crank pos. sensor. go to start it nothing still...

its a 1990 renix 4.0L w/ 202,000 miles. it ran nice and strong right before i power washed it so i dont think i damaged anything when it overheated...

HELP!!! what can cause this bitch it not turn over......

i come from Nissans and Hondas and making them go fast so im not used to a muddy cake walk on this old hunk of shit.

thanks in advance!

I'd make sure my battery connections are fine. Remove, clean, reattach.

I did the same thing with the same characteristics and it turned out to be a TPS (throttle position sensor).

my bad, I think I read about the TPS being a common failure when getting wet instead of the IAC.

my bad, I think I read about the TPS being a common failure when getting wet instead of the IAC.

hmmm illhave to check that out.. although further diagnosing the problem i noticed that when i try to make fuel come out of hte fuel rail it doesnt. also my fuel pump makes no noise. i tired switching the Fuel pump relay with another and still nothing....

not long. but im geting nasty blow by.. its got 204k on it. and it just went through a Gnarly weekend of trail riding so its whatever. ordered the parts and im prob gona replace the head gasket sometime this weekend...

Ballast resistor?? Ultra fail. Take it back to Bull and tell him you bought a lemon and want your doll hairs back.

You might as well get a new radiator while you're doing the head gasket and replacing everything on the coolant system. Your heater core hoses are fail, and you'r water jacket/rad is probably so jammed up with rust and gunk.

Back