• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snatch Blocks and Shackles

bchokola

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone! I had a question that I think would be of concern to most winch/snatch block owners. I just bought a Smittybilt 8000 lb winch, a 3/4" 4 3/4 Ton Smittybilt shackle, and a Mile Marker 24000 lb Snatch Block. All of this will be used by my Cherokee as soon as my bumper gets here.

My question is of the shackle rating. If I maxed out my winch, in theory, I could get 16000 lbs. of pulling power out of the snatch block. It'll pull 16000 pounds on my bumper, on the tree, and on the shackle. Problem is, the best shackle I could find at the 3/4" size (biggest one the snatch block can handle) was 14000 lbs WLL. The one I have now is a cheap Smittybilt one that can only handle 9500 lbs.

In most situations like this, I wouldn't care as long as the weakest link was close to my vehicle. However, if the shackle gives way, winch cable could yank the snatch block straight at my vehicle or me. I think it's kind of stupid that Mile Marker never made the hole in their snatch block big enough for an appropriately rated shackle. Is there any way to get around the lack of shackle strength? Maybe two smaller shackles in the same hole?

sounds like you need either a new snatch block... or quite being so paranoid about your winch ratings...

and there is really only one way to find out if it will work :explosion

The Shackle is rated for lifting per ANSI and has a safety factor of 5. The Snatch block and winch is not rated for lifting, no safety factor. I would be surprised if the winch can pull 8005 lbs with out stalling on the first wrap.

Ha.. I knew someone would call me paranoid. I was just being precautious, as the numbers didn't match up and no one had talked about it in the forums before. Last thing I wanted was a snatch block through the grill.

But if the ratings are truely 5 times less than the breaking strength, then I figure I'm safe. Plus, I think the pull chart said that the first wrap pulled quite a bit less than 8k.

Thanks,
bchokola

yes, a safety factor of x5

The Shackle is rated for lifting per ANSI and has a safety factor of 5.

ding ding ding, winner

And I doubt that they would design the snatch block to work with a shackle that was too small. First thing to break will be your cable im sure.

Hi everyone! I had a question that I think would be of concern to most winch/snatch block owners. I just bought a Smittybilt 8000 lb winch, a 3/4" 4 3/4 Ton Smittybilt shackle, and a Mile Marker 24000 lb Snatch Block. All of this will be used by my Cherokee as soon as my bumper gets here.

My question is of the shackle rating. If I maxed out my winch, in theory, I could get 16000 lbs. of pulling power out of the snatch block. It'll pull 16000 pounds on my bumper, on the tree, and on the shackle. Problem is, the best shackle I could find at the 3/4" size (biggest one the snatch block can handle) was 14000 lbs WLL. The one I have now is a cheap Smittybilt one that can only handle 9500 lbs.

In most situations like this, I wouldn't care as long as the weakest link was close to my vehicle. However, if the shackle gives way, winch cable could yank the snatch block straight at my vehicle or me. I think it's kind of stupid that Mile Marker never made the hole in their snatch block big enough for an appropriately rated shackle. Is there any way to get around the lack of shackle strength? Maybe two smaller shackles in the same hole?

Actually the weakest link in your system is the wire rope. Most 5/16in. 5x26, 6x19, 6x31 is rated at less than 12,000lbs break strength.(besides winch rated at single layer line pull)
Crosby shackles are rigging standard.

Back