• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft HELP!!

rokcrwler

NAXJA Forum User
Im in need of some help guys.. Im having a problem keeping a front driveshaft in my XJ. So, what are you guys running on yours? Im asking for input from 10" lift + and 37" tires + guys.. Im running 38's, D60's, 3-link triangulated, SBC, th350, and an Atlas. Distance between yokes is only 28". Static angle is 31* and drops to 65*, I need about 6" of slip.. I have tried 3 companies DS's and :explosion..
Sooo, what do you think??
TIA
-drew

Youve tried a woods shaft? I would imagine he can build just about anything and stand behind it as far as breakage. Who have you tried?

10"???

Sweet baby jesus.

~James

Call high angle driveline

sounds like you need to post pics of your jeep...

and on topic with the question.

you either need to lower your motor down to decrease the angle(which will not be an easy solution. esp in an xj)

or get wood's high angle joint. or a 2 piece driveshaft....

Ya I have talked with TW. To steep of angles. At least it was last I knew..
High Angle isnt high enough...
Dropping the motor lower, then you really cut into oil pan issuses. Plus with how my cross member is, I really cant without redesigning the suspension.. I have tried 2 piece shafts. Seems to be to short and to much torque to work. The carrier bearing kept craking and breaking.

I'm no expert, but one of the first things I would look at is your lift height. 10" is quite a bit, and I would imagine you could get away with less and improve angles that way. But again, I'm just guessin'. :D

It sounds like you need to lower the rig. XJ's on 40's and competition buggy's don't use that kind of height, and it certainly isnt working for you.

Im running a Tom Woods on mine. I had them build me a bombproof one. 3/16s, with high angle cardian, 10" CV, with good u-joints to match. Worked fine for the last 2 years. Deffentally seen a little bit of use.

the xj... duh

Photos of the undercarriage from the TC to and including your Front Axle Assembly Setup would help. It would be nice to see your Rig as well.

256, funny guy..
It doesnt have a ds or yoke. But I should be able to get a few pics for ya tomorrow afternoon. Heres a few that I have of it... first 3 pics are of the one ds that worked for half aday without getting on it AT ALL. Front is lowered and a strap was used to limit down travel to 4".

jeepn.jpg

jeep1.jpg

jeep6.jpg

Original ride height..
druspics003.jpg

Great Photos! You could pitch a tent under your Rig. LOL

Too much lift imho. I ran 36's with 7.5" lift and TW DS. Do you have an auto or 5 speed? I am currently only 1.5" taller and going to be running 42's. Hopefully the crawl will not destroy it. LOL!

Too much lift imho. I ran 36's with 7.5" lift and TW DS. Do you have an auto or 5 speed? I am currently only 1.5" taller and going to be running 42's. Hopefully the crawl will not destroy it. LOL!

Its a TH-350= very short. Are you running a D60? They are bigger and longer than a 30 or 44. which brings the yokes closer, adding to the angle.. The lift is for the kind of wheeling we do. Ill get pics up later of the TC and front yoke.
The goal for me is to run 42's or 44's at this height..

I put D60s in to go to the 42's. I also have a doubler set up. You need a different transmission and a longer shaft then to run that height.

id run a doubler if i were you it is prob your best bet.

Back