• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken upper shackle weld nut

Peregrine

NAXJA Forum User
I need some advice and direction. I have searched and have gotten answers...none have worked. The weld nut on the upper shackle bolt (drivers side) has broken from the frame rail. I have tried to go in through bumper access area, the nut is not standard...it's oblong. No go with a socket or wrench. Tried to cut the bolt with a sawzall on the shackle box and retrieve the remainder of the bolt and weld nut from the bumper access area. I have gone through 4 metal blades and I cannot seem to cut this sucker. They should go through like butter, but they aren't. I finally decided to go in through the cargo area...just hacked a big hole...no physical way to get a wrench in there for the nut....the nut is in a "pocket" a little lower. How have so many gone in through the floor and had success? Anyone with pictures or first hand experience with this issue...losing my mind. I also don't want to sacrifice strength in this area. Thanks!

wow that is a doozie... bump to help this dude out

had the same problem on a friends jeep..heres how i fixed it

got a 4.5 inch angle grinder, and cut the bolt on each side of the bushing. i pulled out the first half through the outside of the shackle. for the inside part we had to cut a small 1.5X1.5 inch hole in the floor. then you can punch out the rest of the bolt (nut will come with it) and pull it up through the hole in the floor.

went to lowes and got a bolt, and nut. we found that we couldn't tighten hold the nut since it gets recessed into the little pocket. so we grabbed 2 large nuts and slid them over the end of the threaded part so we could space the nut out and be able to hold it.

seems like your on the right track. i didn't try to use my sawzall on the bolt, but i can tell you that the angle grinder cut the bolt twice in less than a minute.

hope you under stood what i was trying to say

I didn't think about the angle grinder...wasn't sure if I would have clearance to get one in there. I will give it a try tomorrow afternoon. I have a new bolt ready to go and a few washers to go in that access hole to take up the void, and a lock nut. I hope this works because I don't think it's too safe for me to drive around with a half-cut shackle bolt! Not to mention, only one lift shackle installed. Thanks for the input...I truly appreciate it.

Back