• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

controlled shifting for the AW4...what else needed (TCU lock up confusion)

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

getting ready to order the rail shifter from this guy.http://radesignsproducts.com/contactus.aspx

seems like an easy install, and have seen a lot of people run his shifters with no problems. its supposed to be pretty much a plug and play kind of thing, but i dont see anything for TCU lock up.

also after installing these i want to be able to just throw the regular tranny selector in "D" for regular shifting.

so...my question is, how do i control TCU lock up, and when would i use it?

im guessing only offroad

and would i need to make a seperate switch to have the aw4 shift on its own

thanks

You would need to run a switch for when you are not using that shifter. That shifter uses solenoids and such for shifting and bypasses the TCU. With the switch you can use either or.

I have TC lockup through a DPDT center off switch, one way is "auto" and sends the signal through as stock, center off is unlocked, other way sends 12v to the sol. I have a normal DPDT switch that either hooks up sol 1/2 normally (auto mode), or through my shift switches (manual mode). Of course, the TC lock "auto" mode does not work when I am manually controlling the shift solenoids. Some have said simply cutting power to the TCU will give you "manual shifting mode", but this did not work for mine.

TC lockup does just that, locks the torque converter up, no slipping. Offroad you'd probably want it unlocked all the time. Coming to a stop with it locked will stall the motor.

That kit says it has a "3 wire connection", which would imply to me that it has something involving TC lockup, as you only need 2 wires for shifting. The description is vague though, so better find out from someone who has one.

I use 3 switches and the shift handle to fulfill all my shifting needs.

Last edited:
I personal spoke to the guy over the phone that make and sells those shifters...great guy I might add.

The 3 wires that you would have to hook with that switch is one from a power source and the other two to the corisponding solinod wires. Then you have to run a switch for the TC.

Also my TC lock up does not work in 1st are 2nd. And you mostly want to use it for highway driving speeds.

I cannot get my TC to lock in first, but it will in all other gears. 1987 Jeep.

Back