• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noob to jeep, and junkyard lift questions

02silverbullet

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a clean 98 sport 4x4 with 136k miles for 500, replaced blown engine with 89k used one for 650, and replaced a few damaged front end parts for about 600. it runs like a top now!
working on putting together a junkyard/budget lift lift and bastard pack please tell me what else i might need.

here is what i have;
zj v8 coils
set of xj rear leafs

here is what i plan on ordering tomorrow or so
2 pairs of bpe's
1 pair front pin mount eliminators
2" coil spacers
lift shackles?
shocks, need to know what model to order from since the mount changes
longer brake lines (i hear there are a few direct model swaps)
transfer case drop kit
31-10.50-15 at's--- plan to run them on the stock 5 spoke steelies
leaf spring clips x4

am i on the right track? do you think the 3-3.5" of lift i am shooting for will be ok with stock control arms and a relocated track bar in the factory mount? im i dreaming to think i wont need a sye?
any other tips would be appreciated as i am tottaly new to jeeps.
plan is a very mild wheel'er and a daily driver with a for sale sign but if i like it i will not sell it.

Last edited:
Stock arms should be fine, but they will bend easier.
cadjeep.jpg

you can relocate your front lines lower by bending the hardline and redrilling the bracket in

There is a very good chance you will get vibes as newer years are more suseptable, but whether you NEED an Sye is up to you. You may only need a TC drop.

Your track-bar should be redrilled over about 1/2" to 3/4"

Because its a newer XJ i would consider a t-case drop, but lift it and see if your Jeep even needs one.
Youll be fine with stock arms at 3"-3.5" of lift, but if you ever go to 4" you will need new lowers.
2x on the trac bar.
Why bother with bar pin elliminators? Just get the correct lenght shocks and call it good.

heres a little list for you.
1/2 Chevy pick up, 88-01(i think for the lines doesnt matter for shackles)
rear shackles-3/4 in lift no real change of shackle angle, better pinion
angle and a little lift

there brake lines up front are good for up to 4.5 in of lift and bolt on

mid eighties ram van rear brake line, 12 inches longer.

ford TTB front coil springs from ford f150 4.0~4.5 in lift
find some with miles there stiff as hell

dakota rear main leaf with eyes cut off-3.0~4.0 in lift (in my experience)
2wd s10 rear mains 3.5~4.5(in my experience)
zj coils 1 in~1.5in
camaro rear spring isolators are good 3/4in coil boosters and stack well to.

theres something for you.

EDIT: use the rear sway bar mounts as bpe's and just put a wing nut on the front sway bar bolts.

Last edited:
also forgot, zj(or was it wj) front control arms have a bend that xjs dont, for tire clearence there the same length eye to eye, just have the nice bend, and are also boxed
and when your problems with your coolant bottle begin(not if, but when) dont just buy a volvo cap from the JY get the whole cap and bottle, just poke around they have 2 versions ive seen that work big cap and bigger volume and small cap and smaller volume, i got a bigger cap and bigger volume one.
and last but not least(as far as i can recall right now) certain year corvettes(mid eighties im lead to believe) have a slip yoke that fits the oil seal and splines of the np231 and is 1-2 inches longer, never seen in person, just read using search

Last edited:
i used the S10 pack and it gave my 2 door at least 3.5" more lift. i don't know what tools you have, but you'll need something to cut the eyes off of the S10/Dakota leaves and bolt that pack to your XJ main leaf. not sure, but i think a YJ rear brake line is about 4" longer than the stock XJ's.

I love the budget lift idea. mine is lifted 6.5" after doing bastard packs, shackles, small blocks and Rc springs in the front. i had to get LCA's and need UCA's though but i spent way less than i would have paid for a kit. Hope it goes well.

i used the S10 pack and it gave my 2 door at least 3.5" more lift. i don't know what tools you have, but you'll need something to cut the eyes off of the S10/Dakota leaves and bolt that pack to your XJ main leaf. not sure, but i think a YJ rear brake line is about 4" longer than the stock XJ's.

I love the budget lift idea. mine is lifted 6.5" after doing bastard packs, shackles, small blocks and Rc springs in the front. i had to get LCA's and need UCA's though but i spent way less than i would have paid for a kit. Hope it goes well.
JY has a limit to what id consider sensible suspension. and 6.5in of lift, requires properly rated springs,shocks and long arms to be road worthy, safe, and wheelable, but thats just my opinion.
not to bash on you, just letting the newbie know of issues that come with that style of building

a sawzall or grinder will cut the springs fine.

i have access to nearly any tool short of metal working stuff like a break tube bender etc, but have a TIG all sorts of tools and lift etc at my disposal as i am a mechanic. just hate going into simple projects like this blind kinda just want this to be a 1 day bolt on deal.

ill see if i can grab some 1/2 ton chevy shackles...

i seem to remember reading somewhers the dakoda brake line for the rear was a good replacment, im only going up 3-3.5" do i really need 12" more brake line?

just new to Xj's and dont want death wobble, or a poorly driving/functioning vehicle.

any other tips would be great.

It'll never be a one day bolt on. You'll get it all on but then decide to pull it off to tweak the packs, add/remove isolators from the coils, etc. There will be tweaking to get it right.

I did mine in an afternoon. Ford F-150 Coils, Dakota leafs, Chevy pick up shocks for the rear. Had some old front shocks laying around that fit the new lift.

Plan ahead, and you can have it done in a day

i have access to nearly any tool short of metal working stuff like a break tube bender etc, but have a TIG all sorts of tools and lift etc at my disposal as i am a mechanic. just hate going into simple projects like this blind kinda just want this to be a 1 day bolt on deal.

ill see if i can grab some 1/2 ton chevy shackles...

i seem to remember reading somewhers the dakoda brake line for the rear was a good replacment, im only going up 3-3.5" do i really need 12" more brake line?

just new to Xj's and dont want death wobble, or a poorly driving/functioning vehicle.

any other tips would be great.

stock jeeps can get death wobble, and its more about the condition of the wheels/tires, alignment, and condition of bushings and TRE's, not from lifting. at 3-3.5 of lift, you can get away with stock arms and relocated trackbar, but once you get up to 3.5" and more, then adjustable arms(unless you use drop brackets) and adjustable trackbar are really needed

Back