• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying my axle on friday -- Check my math

CharlieMopps

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title said, I'm going to pick up my axle friday, I've been planning on this for about a year so I want to make sure I have my facts strait before I get to the salvage yard.

I'm getting a Ford 8.8

They have 2, both out of 2000 ford explorers. Is that year ok?
I want 4.10 gears. It should have a tag that reads: 410L Right? L or limited slip?
It does NOT matter if it's a V6 or V8 explorer. The axles are the same.
I should ask for "the entire axle, all the way out to the rotors" correct?
I shouldn't have to check for spline count, High/low pinion, or anything like that correct?
This is the way they read on their website:
3-00,4.0,AT..,4.10,LOCKER,S615
4/00,4.0,A.T.,4WD,4.10L RATIO
What does the 3-00 and 4/00 stand for? Should I care?
And finally, am I forgetting anything? This is my first axle purchase so I'm a little edgy.

4L10 woul dbe the tag for 4.10 gears with limited slip... 3L73 would be the tag for 3.73's and limited slip etc...

There's no hi or low pinion option. They're all the same.

2000 would work great for you. V6/V8 doesn't matter either. They are all 31 spline shafts after 96. And you want everything right out to the rotors.

I have no idea what they mean by the 3-00 or 4/00... I kinda doubt it matters though.

I don't think you're forgetting anything. Enjoy! :)

4L10 woul dbe the tag for 4.10 gears with limited slip... 3L73 would be the tag for 3.73's and limited slip etc...

There's no hi or low pinion option. They're all the same.

2000 would work great for you. V6/V8 doesn't matter either. They are all 31 spline shafts after 96. And you want everything right out to the rotors.

I have no idea what they mean by the 3-00 or 4/00... I kinda doubt it matters though.

I don't think you're forgetting anything. Enjoy! :)

Well, all exploder 8.8's are 31 spline. The 96+ are discs though.

3/00
4/00

usually means he has 3 2000 with the set up following and 4 2000 with the set up following

All your questions have been answered except one.
The yokes are different for a V6 and a V8. The V8 is larger.

Yup, don't get one with a L/S if you intend on putting in a lunchbox locker.

This is the first I've heard of this. Please elaborate. I planned on using the LS and putting an autolocker in the front. Then, maybe a few years down the road, talking my wife into letting me get a real locker for the back.

All your questions have been answered except one.
The yokes are different for a V6 and a V8. The V8 is larger.

Does it matter which I get? Are they both plenty strong for an XJ?

Thanks for all the replys!

"Does it matter which I get? Are they both plenty strong for an XJ?"

If you go stock Jeep 4.0 (190 hp) then yoke on a Ford V6 rear end would be no problem.

If you plan on stroking it or modifying your 4.0 like I have (I'm putting out about 235 HP) then a V8 rear end would be a better choice. Both have 31 spine axles. Only the yoke is different.

This is the first I've heard of this. Please elaborate. I planned on using the LS and putting an autolocker in the front. Then, maybe a few years down the road, talking my wife into letting me get a real locker for the back.
quote]
Well, the L/S carrier won't accept a lunchbox locker. You would either have to ... A: Get an open carrier and install the lunchbox locker in it. or .... B: Get a full case locker which is a good idea with the 8.8 anyway since the stock carrier is probably the weakest part of that rear.

Back