• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column cover

Rammin97

NAXJA Forum User
Went to install a stereo this afternoon, got the bezel off no problem. Figured i would remove the steering column cover so i dont crack the bezel.I see the middle torx screw but the 2 outer ones look like rivets for something. no torx, no removal!! What am i missing here? Thanks

First off, what year?

I know my 97 was a piece of cake to swap the cluster. The only issue was getting the bazel back over the headlight switch because I couldn't get the knob to come off.

Its a 95 Sport, 2 door.. i searched around and found that others have just pulled the bezel back enough to sqeeze the stereo out.. I wonder if they had run into the same thing? Thanks

First off, what year?

I know my 97 was a piece of cake to swap the cluster. The only issue was getting the bazel back over the headlight switch because I couldn't get the knob to come off.

There is a button on the switch that you can push that will release the knob/rod for the headlights.

They are torx heads, previous owner must have stripped them. Try going a number higher.

You can get the bezel off without removing the cover but it's tricky. It's pretty bendable but I always feel like it's going to break.

They are torx heads, previous owner must have stripped them. Try going a number higher.

If that doesn't work, I usually have good luck with using a dremmel to cut a slot in the head and use a screw driver to get it out.

Remember to use new hardware when you put it back together so you (or a future owner) doesn't have this problem again.

I dont think they are stripped. the center torx is pretty close to the surface of the cover(bottom). i had to get up under the wheel to look into the two other holes. they go up to what looks like the top of the upper half of the cover(5 inches or so). They are completely flat and a silver color. Thanks for all the help guys/girls!!

Back