• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grounding to a Surco Roof Rack

cfishman

NAXJA Forum User
Going to be installing a Surco roof rack on my Jeep Cherokee. I am currently in the planning stage of running electrical to it. The question I have is can I ground my lights to the rack? Its aluminum, using the J100 mounts.

I personally wouldn't. You are talking steel + alumium + electricity. That sounds like a recipe for corrosion/rust.

How are you mounting the rack, to the gutter's or the existing roof rack? *IF* it were me, I'd ground the lights directly to the body. The more joints/connections you have, the more chance of a short or other electrical issues.

I have 4 lights on a stock roof rack bar I think they are aluminum and I ran a ground strap from the bar to the roof never had any issues.

Yup. I ran a ground to the rack, and screwed it right to it. Then I just made little jumpers for the rails that were not connected.

Back