• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My shocks suck!!!

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to know what people are running for shocks, because mine are terrible. Im mainly looking forthe best shocks for road comfort. Every time that i go over a pothole, or a hard bump it feels like the front bottoms out as if the shocks aren't absorbing any of the bump. Right now i am running the RC nitro 9000 shocks,i got 4.5 inches of lift,and im also running RC springs, and rc "quick" discos,and everything else that come in the kit, longer Contol arms etc. I am very happy with the kit and understand that their is better kits out their, but at the time i was just getting out of H/S

everytime i say how bad the ROUGH COUNTRY shocks are... theyre defended by the rc fanboi's....

ive ran those shocks, and they suck balls... no doubt about it
sinse you didnt mention budget, im gonna recommend fox or bilstein.

yeah, i have heard a couple of people on here saying that RC shocks are ok, but their really not, they really do suck hardcore. Which bilesteins should i get? and where do i get them

I wanted to know what people are running for shocks, because mine are terrible. Im mainly looking forthe best shocks for road comfort. Every time that i go over a pothole, or a hard bump it feels like the front bottoms out as if the shocks aren't absorbing any of the bump. Right now i am running the RC nitro 9000 shocks,i got 4.5 inches of lift,and im also running RC springs, and rc "quick" discos,and everything else that come in the kit, longer Contol arms etc. I am very happy with the kit and understand that their is better kits out their, but at the time i was just getting out of H/S

All the cheap white shocks are just like that.
Perhaps they come from the same place and are rebadged.
Bilsteins will help.

All the cheap white shocks are just like that.
Perhaps they come from the same place and are rebadged.
Bilsteins will help.

thats not true....
TONS of people run rancho... they arent the best... but they dont destroy their own bushings as a result of their own suck... like the rough country stuff does..

doeche tech's arent bad, and are also white...

no 'basic' shock will stand up to extreme use... obviously.
and NO shock will stand up to bumpstopping/limit strapping at the shock.

bilstein 5150's or 5100's are nice, if you can afford it, jump to 7100's for rebuildability and a remote reservoir for the fast stuff.

everytime i say how bad the ROUGH COUNTRY shocks are... theyre defended by the rc fanboi's....

ive ran those shocks, and they suck balls... no doubt about it
sinse you didnt mention budget, im gonna recommend fox or bilstein.

I agree RC shocks suck but i would buy one of their lift kits with the RC2.2 shocks which are supposed to ride great. I'm sure Jason will chime in on these.

everytime i say how bad the ROUGH COUNTRY shocks are... theyre defended by the rc fanboi's.....
I am one of those "Fan bois" and i have the nitro 9000. they are junk. i plan to upgrade to either some 5100's or maybe try the RC 2.2's for the JK.

My favorite shocks I have run were Rancho RS5000s. I now have Rusty's, and I wish my Ranchos were long enough.

Those who stick up for the shitty, cheap shocks are the ones who haven't run good ones or would feel guilty spending the money for them.

Bilstein > *.*

Part of your ride problem is the fact you have 4.5" lift,steep c/a angles and probably a straight up and down shackle angle.fix those problems and i bet it rides a lot better..that being said IMHO the firm doetsch 8000 pre runners or the softer doetsch baja ryders are the best bang for your buck shocks.built in bumps and warrantied forever if you run boots on them..

I ran Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks for a long time and I liked them very well. It's very convenient to be able to stiffen them up for dirt roads and soften them up for the daily commute.

Back