• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 over filled??

4byfour

NAXJA Forum User
How could the previous owner have over filled my chrysler 8.25?
I pulled the rubber pug to check level and fluid poured out.
Could being overfilled have damaged it??
Thanks for the insight>>

did you check when the dif was hot or cold? if you fill it up to the bottom of the check at cold, drive it a bit and check it will seem overfull. Simple physics, materials generally expand as they get hot.

If it was pouring out at the bottom of the check plug, regardless of temp its not a problem, if it was pouring out the the check like the fluid level was somehow above the top of the check.... then maybe.

It was cold, and i had just barely pried the top of the plug and it started leaking out. Maybe the prev owner had the back end on ramps when he refilled it to have more elbow room. Would that account for this ??
The Big Question is , has it hurt anything????
It has developed a Fairly low pitched WHEER WHEER WHEER sound that increases frequency with speed but does not change pitch. Kinda like a cupped tire might sound.

Ramps or nose down in the PO's driveway.

Shouldn't have hurt anything.

The sound is probably R&P.

Aftermarket diff covers raise the fill hole considerably.... unless it was litterally filled to the brim... it wouldnt hurt anything... except maybe pissing some earl out the breather hose.

my 44 has been overfilled, worst case is i get alotta gear oil coming outta the air vent for a while, but it stopped when it got down to a normal level.

Thanks for all the responses.. If it is the ring and pinion, any guesses on what a shop will charge to do it... is it something a fair part swapper(not trained mechanic) could do. ie, ive swapped a motor in a 91 camero and a 89 blazer BY MYSELF...both actually ran great when finished.
Any thoughts....Ive heard rearends are highly specialized.

Plan on $700-900 at a shop. Setting gears is not easy, and you don't want to do it wrong. If you have the measurement tools and can get good instructions or help, it's probably not beyond your ability. Just remember mistakes are expensive.

With enough research, you could do it yourself. There are enough threads here to help and research on the internet. If it all screws up, you can get a used one on craigslist. Sometimes $100.

Back