• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BEST BASTARD PACK?

Way too much on here about way too many different methods to cover them all.

look straight down to the end of this thread and read through each of the "similar" threads and see what works for you. "Best" is an opinion based on your intentions and needs, so it's gonna take some work on your part to convince yourself what's "best" for you.

Dakota + XJ here and kinda stiff (the springs, that is....)

doubling an XJ pack will give you about 3" of lift and if that is the amount of spring lift you are going for, it is probably the "best" option you've got - unless you do a ton of heavy hauling or towing and need the stiffness in the back.
Matching spring rates and arches (like in an all-xj pack) will help all the leaves work together and eliminate much of the binding within the pack that you might find when fitting a stiffer spring with a slightly different arch into the XJ pack.
You could get up to around 4.5" with an all xj pack if you add shackles to it. Probably the best way to go on a budget... if you have the scratch Deavers or Alcans (or Nationals or Whoever) could probably beat them out for ride quality, flex etc.

The usual "bastard" is 2 main leaves(2nd one with the eyes cut off) and 1 complete set of shorter leaves.

Im thinking about doing a bastard pack as well to get me back to around 4.5" lift. If i took the main leaf of a XJ or a S10 or a Dakota, will that get me back to around 4.5" lift? Ive sagged to around 3.5" now.

Either way put a long 1 ton over load spring under it and itll make it sweet! I stacked XJ leafs into my stock leafs on my little XJ and then shoved an 1 ton Ford over load spring under them. The leaf pack doesnt hit it on the street but if I put a trailer on the back it just touches and rids just like stock again. Same happens when jumping, it kind of acts like a bump stop.
Just something I picked up.

Whats the over load spring? where is it in the leaf pack? and Where would you put it in a XJ pack? Would that give me my lift again or no?

Whats the over load spring? where is it in the leaf pack? and Where would you put it in a XJ pack? Would that give me my lift again or no?

The overload spring is a short, fat, nealy flat leaf at the very bottom of the pack. Don't bother with it. I came over here to look for a more exact answer for you and I stumbled into you right away! :D

haha i just replyed to the Colo4x4 one.

But i do have a question. If i do keep my top leaf, then add the S10 top three leafs in, and cut the ends off. How many leafs sould I put in my pack? Or does it not matter?

haha i just replyed to the Colo4x4 one.

But i do have a question. If i do keep my top leaf, then add the S10 top three leafs in, and cut the ends off. How many leafs sould I put in my pack? Or does it not matter?

Think of the leaf's as a set of lego blocks. You can rebuild the leaf pack any way you want to acheive what you want. It make take several tries to get exactly what you want.

There's not really any hard and fast rules, just some general guidelines.

Well I just got off the phone with 4wheel parts, and i orders the Teraflex 1.5" shackle. It will be here thursday and ill try to put it on sat. Well see how that does, If im still sagginf then ill build a bastard pack, but i shouldent sag I should be around 5" now, so 5" rear and 4.5" front.

Sorry to hi jack the thread.. Im done

Back