• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to use to coat the underside of my Jeep?

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
I have a supper 44 exhaust that I just installed and due to funds, time, and other reasons it is dumping right before the exhaust. Right now it drowns quite a bit around 2K to 2.7K RPM (right at my highway speeds). What would be the best product to use to keep the sound outside?

Would basic undercoating be good or would it get to hot?

Would a bed liner do any thing or does that not help with sound deadening?

Also I would be pulling the carpet in the back up and coat the floor in the back as well. Would it be better to get a actual mat (like dynomat) or would the stuff in the can work if enough coatings where used?

I am also wanting to get some POR-15 to keep my floor boards from rusting through. does the spray on liner (the under body and the bead liner) stick to the POR-15? most say they needs prepped bare paint or scuffed paint (which I would not want to damage the POR-15 after paying the $$ to put it on)

Any ideas or thoughts would be nice. Thanks!

I would do either POR-15 or bedliner. Both would be kind of redundant. Yout put in some high-dollar paint that stops rust, only to scuff it all up and put more high dollar coating over it. I would look into something along the lines of e-dead, or maybe some dynomat inside over your POR-15

I picked up a gallon can of Hercules roof sealant to try. Haven't tried it yet but my brother has on his Wrangler. Went on a little messy but real sticky. I figure heat wise it's made for roofs where it will bake in the sun all day, so I bet it would stand up to some heat.

For the most part, the thicker the coating, the better job it will do absorbing sound. A Dynomat type product under the carpet is gonna work the best, but can be pretty pricey. Id try finishing off the exhaust first, should be cheaper than the sound deadening materials...

anybody had any experience with Eastwood products? They are close by to me, and I have used some of their other products before. I was just looking into their rust preventer (i don't have any rust, but no real "undercoating" either) and their undercoating. comes in cans for about $15-20 a can. I'm leaning towards that route but i don't want to find out 5 years from now that it is just holding moisture and flaky rotten floorboards. I will likely do some sort of POR-15 or herculiner inside with dynomat, so I'm not super concerned about the undercoating being the main sound barrier, though I do want it to contribute. Magus2727, you probably want to fix your exhaust. I don't know how Utah is for inspection, but you'll likely need it by then anyway. I have tried a muffler-free XJ before and the 4.0 is not an engine you want to hear breathing through a straight pipe for longer than about 5 minutes at a constant RPM!

anybody had any experience with Eastwood products? They are close by to me, and I have used some of their other products before. I was just looking into their rust preventer (i don't have any rust, but no real "undercoating" either) and their undercoating. comes in cans for about $15-20 a can. I'm leaning towards that route but i don't want to find out 5 years from now that it is just holding moisture and flaky rotten floorboards. I will likely do some sort of POR-15 or herculiner inside with dynomat, so I'm not super concerned about the undercoating being the main sound barrier, though I do want it to contribute. Magus2727, you probably want to fix your exhaust. I don't know how Utah is for inspection, but you'll likely need it by then anyway. I have tried a muffler-free XJ before and the 4.0 is not an engine you want to hear breathing through a straight pipe for longer than about 5 minutes at a constant RPM!

If you're talking about their rust encapsulator stuff, it works great. I'm in the middle of slowly restoring a firebird and I've used a lot of it. Some of the parts I coated with it have been sitting outside for a few years now after coating them with the rust encapsulator and still look great.

What do you mean exiting before the exhaust? You have the exhaust flowing out of the header, without the rest of the exhaust piping? I don't that is safe at all. With it exhausting there it can be sucked into the HVAC intake, or get into the cabin in other ways

Jeggs has the stuff, 2 gallons of each for 322.97 shipped. That should cover 100 sq. feet. Seems like a decent price to pay for what they say the stuff does.

Back