• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seafoam? Worth it?

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
Spent the last 2 hours rereading the various posts about using Seafoam.

Seems like the stuff is a cure-all. Ive got a 88 XJ with 260,000 miles on it and just finsihed installing a set of Ford Fuel Injectors.

What I noticed after I had the old Renix FIs out was that the ports for them (really further inside the intake then the actual port) were encrusted with "carbon/varnish/gunk" and I used a .45cal bore brush to remove the stuff before installing the "overhauled" Ford Injectors.

All this gunk got me thinking that maybe I should just pull the intake and scrape the gunk out but then I thought of Seafoam that alot of XJ owners here seem to use.

BUT does this stuff really work??? I know the carb cleaner I was using to blast out the gunk aroung the FI ports seemed to disolve the gunk very easily but Im sure that this gunk is "deep" inside the intake.

SO other than smoking up/poluting the air in my neighborhood can I expect real results with Seafoam? Would this stuf really loosen and remove the build up in my XJs intake? Has anyone pulled down an intake or engine after Seafoaming it to see if the stuff really cleans out gunk?

I haven't pulled my valve cover off since my last seafoam treatment but I like the way the product works. I did the 1/3 in the gas 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 in the brake booster hose. after the treatment and oil change I bought a bottle of chevron fuel system cleaner and used that. I have used 3 bottles of that and everything seems to be working great. If you get the chevron stuff make sure you get the fuel system cleaner and NOT the fuel injector cleaner.

Did my 88. Seemed to help smooth out my idle. A few months later I replaced my cracked exhaust manifold. Here's a peek inside. Had about 175K at the time.

IMG_0003Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Some like it, some do not.
99% of the time it helps, the other time it doesnt do anything bad. I do however only recommend it being used in the crankcase right before an oil change (say, ~500mi before). It does a good job with the intake, and the injectors (thru the fuel tank). It only smokes for a few minutes at msot when you run thru the intake. Best way to do it: start your engine, remove brake booster vacuum line from booster (this will make the engine rev higher and its fine), slowly pour in 1/3 to half can of seafoam into hose (just enough to where the engine idles slightly under where it should, too much and your engine will stall), reconnect booster line and let run for a minute or so. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Start it back up and drive it if you want.

I love and swear by seafoam. It's been discussed many times on this forum, not to mention every automotive forum I've ever been on. It's good stuff and does a good job keeping the motor clean. It kills O2 sensors though if there's too much buildup in the intake path when you clean that, so be prepared to get those if you Seafoam. just an fyi

I love the stuff too. If you let it sit at least 30 min>overnight, the seafoam will soak into the gunk better(then it'll be smoking for a while). Some people do remove the oxygen sensor to prevent it from getting coated, other's like to remove the cat and back, and some like to leave it as is so they can see where the cracks/leaks are in the exhaust system. On Friday, I removed an intake manifold and head on a 190K 95. There was a lot of build up on the intake ports in the head and on the intake manifold. I used a brass brush and carb cleaner--the seafoam probably wouldn't have gotten all of the gunk in the mani, but at least the majority of the stuff in the head, as you can see from Saudade's pic. Big X2 on the Chevron Fuel System Treatment(haven't tried the more$ bg44k, but have a great feeling based on reports).

Saudade: Gee! Looks band new. Is this after you used Seafoam?

Technically yes. However, I don't have a *before* shot so I don't know what they were like prior to Seafoam.

That's how I discovered the manifold crack as Gradon suggested. Clouds of smoked filled the engine bay.

Well I tried the 1/3 bottle of Seafaom into the brake booster vacuum line method of cleaning the Intake system. Let the Seafoam "dwell" for about 10-15 minutes then started the engine. I got a little whitish smoke out of the exhaust for 20-30 seconds and that was it. Took the XJ for a spin down the highway.

Runs OK but I thought I'ld get alot more whitish smoke out of the engine.

Do you all think I should retreat the intake again? Maybe let the Seafoam "dwell" longer...overnight?

when I do mine.. I put it through the booster vac line 2/3 or more of the can then let it soak for about 1/2 to 1 hour. I get aloooot of smoke..

I know a mechanic of 30+ years and he is meticulous with his vehicles. He sid he adds a whole can of Sea Foam after every oil change. He said that it burns up in the crank case in a matter of miles and that it's not a harm to leave it in there.

I've used Seafoam a few times in my Jeep.

This is what my intake looked like when I pulled it off to replace a cracked exhaust manifold.

DSC_0022.jpg

Following the directions on the can, I've never gotten a "smoke show" like people have talked about. I've had some light smoking, but nothing more than that.

I just treated the engine of my "new" 95. It smoked a lot, but it has 255K miles on it so I expected more really. When I blow the motor I'll see how bad it is after the Seafoam. I have a cracked exh manifold so I have to remove it now for welding. I'll try to get pictures.

After reading this thread I bought some a couple days ago and used it yesterday. Definately made a lot of smoke, but didn't notice any improvement. However, I do have faith in it doing SOMETHING helpful so I figure for the small amount it cost it doesn't hurt to do it while doing an oil change.

It did fill up my engine bay too leading me to believe my old and tired manifold is about to go.

~Scott

Ive used Sea Foam alot in my cars over the years, and I have always gotten a "smoke show" and have seen some improvments in the MPG. So yeah it helps for sure, i toss a can in the crankcase, can in the gas and 1/3 of one in the vaccume lines to clean things up.

Then, i was getting my company cars oil changed at Jiffy lube (company policy heh) and they had this engine clean thing for like 80 bucks, the guy behind the counter said he loved it and its someone i have delt with for a decent amoubnt of time. So i tried it on my grandpas truck (96 Chevy 1500) one we just sea foamed about 3 weeks before.

HOLY CRAP. We didnt just notice a slight mpg increase, it was a seat of the pants feeling increase. just getting onteh freeway was a diffrent feeling. You know what i mean. Sometimes your in a car that feels like the ebrake is still on, just dragging and trying hard to keep up. Then there are the ones that just seem to want to go faster. The chev went from one to the other. Was effin magic lol.

If I haddent just replace the headgaskets in my 88 I would get this done asap. But i cleaned everything out already. But it made a huge diffrence. I would recommend getting it even if you have just sea foamed.

I know a mechanic of 30+ years and he is meticulous with his vehicles. He sid he adds a whole can of Sea Foam after every oil change. He said that it burns up in the crank case in a matter of miles and that it's not a harm to leave it in there.

I love Seafoam and have used it successfully for decarbonizing and also as a preventative measure, but I would NOT add a whole can of it after every oil change!! The mfg. only recommends a maximum of 1/3 of a can in the crankcase, and a full can without changing oil soon afterwards seems awfully dangerous. Seafoam contains a strong stoddard solvent which will seriously alter the chemistry of your oil.

I love Seafoam and have used it successfully for decarbonizing and also as a preventative measure, but I would NOT add a whole can of it after every oil change!! The mfg. only recommends a maximum of 1/3 of a can in the crankcase, and a full can without changing oil soon afterwards seems awfully dangerous. Seafoam contains a strong stoddard solvent which will seriously alter the chemistry of your oil.
Seafoam will vaporize in the crankcase in a short period of time. This guy isn't a backwood moron...all of his vehicles run immaculately!!

To each their own, but even if the Seafoam does vaporize, it loosens up so much crap that the oil is nasty afterwards. I always change the oil after I Seafoam and what comes out is disgusting, black, swamp water. There's no way I would leave that in there. This is usually on engines with over 200K.

Back