• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overland Navigator - New Product

spatialminds

NAXJA Forum User
Overland Navigator turns any Windows netbook, laptop, tablet, or UMPC and a cheap GPS puck into an easy to use offroad mapping system.

• USGS topographic maps are rich in detail.
  • Maps are seamless and automatic
  • Record GPS tracks and waypoints
  • Ideal for netbooks and UMPCs - Uses the entire screen
  • Touchscreen, mouse, and keyboard compatible
See the Video Overview of the basic features.
See the Testimonials section of our website for example installations.

Screenshots
frontpage_map1.jpg

frontpage_sat2.jpg

snap_rec_wpt1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the inquiries. If you have any questions feel free to ask them here or send an email to [email protected].

I've received a few questions from people that I thought I'd answer here so the info is available for others that might be interested:

- To get setup you need 3 things: A computer w/ a 12v power supply, a GPS puck ($35), and a mount (such as a RAM Mount).

- The software will run on low powered Netbooks such as those offered by Asus ($3-400).

- You can use your existing XP/Vista laptop. Especially in a trail rig with a roof like an XJ, no special hardware is needed. A netbook, used laptop, old laptop, used ruggedized laptop, tablets, or UMPCs all work and all give you a much bigger screen than a handheld GPS.

- A touchscreen isn't required. It will work with just a mouse, just a keyboard, with just a touchscreen or any combination.

- Yep, you need a GPS to see where you are. A GPS puck such as the Globalstat BU-353 ($35) connects and is powered by a USB cable to the computer. This particular GPS puck has the same SIRF III chipset as the Garmin 60CSx and other popular handheld GPS units.

How about NH? The Northeast needs some love too! I'll be purchasing one of these in the near future, looks like a great product.

Absolutely NH needs to get done. It is going to be bundled with Maine in the New England map-pack which will take a little bit more time. I'm going to do my best to get the rest of the continental US map-packs done in time for hunting season... hopefully sooner.

Craig

Any Idea when you will have maps for AK? Will these ones be better than most of what's out there: Most have the roads way off from where they really are. Some even show a highway on the water that is really where the ferries run.

I don't have any plans for Alaska right now.

The maps I use are based on USGS topographic maps. Quality varies based on how long it has been since a particular map was last updated, and how much on the ground activity there has been. The base map scale is 1:24k (vs 1:100k with most GPS mapsets). The 1:24k USGS maps show the twists/curves of the road in much more detail and also include many roads/trails that aren't present at all on GPS mapsets.

The data that you have now is most likely being provided by NavTech. In that data system, ferry routes are considered a part of the US Highway system though they should be repreented with a unique line symbol (dashed instead of solid). They are basically viewed as a toll road. Overland Navigator doesn't use NavTech road data.

Craig

Absolutely NH needs to get done. It is going to be bundled with Maine in the New England map-pack which will take a little bit more time. I'm going to do my best to get the rest of the continental US map-packs done in time for hunting season... hopefully sooner.

Craig

Bow hunting season just started...

Just saying... :D

I've finished NY/NJ, PA, NC/SC, WI, and MI. They are at the publishers and will be up for sale on the website as soon as I receive the disks.

Only FL and New England are left. I haven't looked at Florida yet so I don't know how long it will take. New England has all sorts of problem quads along the coast that need to be sorted out. I'm not sure how long it will take to clean up.

I'm doing my best to get them done by hunting season, but I can't make any promises.

Craig

How does it stack up to TOPO! That is what I run but would be in the market to switch if it had a better resolution. Any package deals. I want CO and UT plus the software. Maybe even WY and NM

I haven't had time to read much. Will it allow you to enter trails on the maps. Is there a website that allows users to share trails?

How does it stack up to TOPO! That is what I run but would be in the market to switch if it had a better resolution. Any package deals. I want CO and UT plus the software. Maybe even WY and NM

I haven't had time to read much. Will it allow you to enter trails on the maps. Is there a website that allows users to share trails?

National Geographic Topo! and Overland Navigator both have maps based on USGS Topographic quads. I'm not sure which Topo you have, but there aren't any US wide back-country maps available with more detail than the 1:24k USGS topos. So.. basically they have the same maps.

The prices are already substantially lower than other topo products, so we don't have any package deals. Maybe in the future.

You can record your GPS track and it will display on the map. You can display GPX tracks that you create, download, or that friend shares with you. In this version you can't create your own tracks with a mouse, but it is on my wishlist too.

Craig

We've just released map-packs for NY/NJ, PA, NC/SC, WI, and MI for sale through our webstore. http://spatialminds.com

The total list of map-packs that are available now includes:

Alabama
Arkansas
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mid Atlantic Region (DC, VA, WV, MD, DE)
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana North
Montana South
Nebraska
New England
New Mexico
New York & New Jersey
North & South Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas North
Texas South
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming

I made a copy/paste mistake in the last post. The complete list should have read:

Global - Satellite Imagery - Course scale only - This is not aerial photography
United States - 1:100k and 1:250k maps for the entire US. Does not include detailed 1:24k maps.

DETAILED MAP-PACKS: Include 1:250k, 1:100k, and detailed 1:24k USGS maps.
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California Central
California North
California South
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mid Atlantic Region (DC, VA, WV, MD, DE)
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana North
Montana South
Nebraska
Nevada
New England
New Mexico
New York & New Jersey
North & South Carolina
North Dakota