• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering bolts not lining up with intake?

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Um ok, working on a replacement engine out of a 99 XJ. Power steering bracket was on the engine. It didn't have a intake so I got one from the local salvage Jeep guy that is supposed to be the correct year and bolt right up.

Well after I got the header and intake bolted and locktit'd I notice the steering bracket does not line up with the threaded inserts on the intake.

steeringpumpholes2.jpg

steeringpumpholes1.jpg

So anyone have any idea which intake I ended up with and which power steering bracket I need to get now? It's going to be huge PIA to get the intake off since it's got red locktite on it.

edit: I'm a retard. I put the bracket on a few days ago and forgot the bracket holes are slotted to allow for some play and looks like they will line up. Need to ge the right bolts now. Steering are 8mmx1.25. :dunce::dunce:

The intake may be off a bit still. Do they put a year on the intakes? I had to due some mods on the intake ribs to get it over the header.

Last edited:
do you have a from top picture of the intake? from the side and views I have it looks like its a pre 99+ intake... For the 99's and newer they went with a different intake.... I think

:mad::mad: grrr wtf now what. I guess the one I got is ok but I'll have to heat the bolts to get anything off now. motherfer.

anyone know if the intake I have will line up with the ports on the newer head? I checked the port with the gasket and it seemed like it would work.

Last edited:
You have the wrong intake for your 99 engine!!!! They sold you the wrong one!! The intake design was changed in 99, it went from rectangular to oval in shape. You need a 99 or newer intake!!

yup old style looks close but not the same. the new one has more internal volume. take it back and have them give you the right one.

This Tread is very confusing.
What year is your XJ?
What Straight 6 do you have? A 4.2 or a 4.0?
The intake you have is all wrong. It looks like a '98- Intake. For a '99+ Intake in a '96+ it is a straight swap. No problem. Otherwise, there are a few things that have to be changed and adjusted.
If it is a '99 4.0, then the intake pictured is definitely the wrong one.

Last edited:
going to get more confusing

XJ: 89
Engine: 99
Intake 97-98ish?

Ports look like they lined up. If that true then it's staying on. I have it all assembled, gasket is siliconed on and the bolts a torque with red high temp loctite. Which mean I'll have to heat all the bolts to break them loose with a torch and then remove the gasket and clean the surface only to buy a new gasket. Which I coould do if it's a huge difference but it's going to be a pita.

Back