• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas gauge still.....

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Been working on this, not too hard obviously, for 4 years. Oh, it's a 93 auto 4.0. My gas gauge is always on E, now I know there's power at the gauge because the empty light is on. I finally got a donor fuel pump assembly. I removed the old one and sure enough a few checks with the dmm proved the old float assembly was not sending any signal. The donor was working fine so I swapped just the float assembly, because I put in a new fuel pump a few years ago. Once installed I rechecked the resistance and yes it was working like a charm. So back in it goes. Fire it up and nothing has changed!?! I would love any input. Has anyone gone through this? I did screw around with the gauge several times over the years, could I have blown something? Why would I have a empty tank light but no reading on the actual gauge? Please help.

I would check it with a different gauge to verify.. maybe pull the dash and check the connectors and see if they need to be cleaned at all.

There was a change in the gauge/sender, not sure of the year, but the resistance values were reversed, i.e., zero = empty, 88 ohm = full was turned around.

Search "fuel gauge", lots of info in other threads.

Not sure what a different gauge would accomplish, one float assembly showed resistance values the other didn't. I have searched fuel gauge threads for years with no luck.

Back