• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

California Catalytic Converter help

HeepSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone,

My 1997 XJ is failing the smog test. Way too high NoX. Yes, I've searched the threads, but just keep coming up with fixes and that you need an O2 sensor and Cat. I've replaced the upstream O2 sensor as my mechanic said it was switching too slow. I did my free retest and FAIL...same emissions.

Next up: Catalytic converter it seems. Here's my question:

Is there a direct bolt-on converter for sale that isn't 40 million dollars?

Must be California OBD-II legal and CARB legal or what not. Can you provide a link of where you bought yours? I don't have welding skills so these universal magnaflow ones that need to be welded on don't seem feasible to me unless I pay someone else to do it.

THoughts? Advice? Links and prices? THANKS!!

I am going through the same dealio... Failed on Nox... 9xx @ 15mph and 95x @ 25mph.

Game plan was to test O2 sensor... change plugs / cap / rotor / Sea-Foam Engine / Change Oil.... And then I keep reading about using a couple gallons of Denatured alcohol mixed with a 1/8th - 1/4 tank of gas will get it to pass...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

And then I keep reading about using a couple gallons of Denatured alcohol mixed with a 1/8th - 1/4 tank of gas will get it to pass...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

i did something similar a few years ago with an old carb'd(yes, lol) toyota celica. couldn't quite get it's sorry ass to pass smog, even with new plugs, cap, rotor, filters, etc. the next day i poured a bottle of 90% rubbing alcohol(at the suggestion of a smog tech) in a little over a half tank of gas, drove about 10-15 miles straight down to the smog station. they ran it again and it passed with room to spare-no other changes, just the alcohol.

I'd check the CAT for proper operation. Warm it up, take it for a drive at night, stop and see if your CAT is glowing, or if it rattles. If so replace it. Mine was $160 installed

Otherwise, go down the list, see what needs fixing.

Tune-up (it needs it anyway) Plugs, cap, rotor.
Oil Change
Check and replace vacuum lines, all of 'em.
Buy a BRAND NEW gas cap.

...a can of G2P (guaranteed to pass) and follow the instructions on the can.

Or go to http://www.drivehealthy.com and have the state pay for most of the repair like I did.

You can't get the help if it's in the process of being sold...I just got the Jeep and to register it, it needs smog...so yea, although I got it for free - it's still "in the process of being sold" :(

I'll start getting tuneup parts and such...

Ca stores may not be selling them but you can still get cats mail-order from companies like Summit or JC Whitney. It may be harder to find an OBD-II direct fit one. The smog tech will not know when your cat was installed. Most just check to see it it's there and move on.

Ca stores may not be selling them but you can still get cats mail-order from companies like Summit or JC Whitney. It may be harder to find an OBD-II direct fit one. The smog tech will not know when your cat was installed. Most just check to see it it's there and move on.
Thanks - I've been on JC Whitney and don't mind the $200 price tag; however, you have to weld it on and it's not direct fit. I don't want to go welding something on that may have to be taken off in two years again!

I cross-posted on Cherokeeforum and based on advice from here and there I'm going to start with a tune-up and then get another test (which gives a free re-test) so that if I fail, I'll finally replace the cat and be done with it. If the cat doesn't do it, then I'm screwed.

Just go to your local exhaust guy, he can only put whats legal on.

I had one put on my 94 for $150 out the door.

Back