• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

somebody talk me out of this...

whitneyj

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I was going to order my 5.13's and full spools for my hpd44/9" until I found this deal: d50 and sterling 10.25 out of a 99 superduty. The d50 has the manual locking hubs (not the vacuum hubs), geared at 5.38, has an aussie, new unit bearings, and the p/s knuckle has a high steer arm on it. The 10.25 is also geared at 5.38 with a full detriot and disc brakes. The bearings and gears only have 2500 miles on them. So talk me out of this. . . I've got until this evening. . .

The only thing that I can see why you wouldn't do it is if there was a major price difference and how much time it would take to hab up the brackets to make it fit

whitneyj build #2......................................

lol! yup! Was going to happen anyhow. I don't like how the front suspension turned out. Not sure if I'll stick to the extended radius arms, just shortened, or go leafs up front. The leafs are nice and simple and have virtually no maintanance, while the radius arms do. That and I could get the front done with leaves in about a month vs. a couple months to redo the arms, build another tranny crossmember and another one for the radius arms. We'll see though. I had plans to build either 2 609's or 1 609 and a 44/60. I guess that's out now :)

What's the width difference? If there isn't any, or it doesn't matter to you, go for it. If you'll have to have them cut down, figure that cost (or DIY work) in, too.

It doesn't look like they make an Aussie for the Dana 50
confused.gif

http://www.offroadlockers.com/make.php/TM897ac4/8603/99/.html

Locker selection is the biggest issue with both of those axles. I think whatever diff you want to run is going to determine if you should go for it.

Billy

He said he thinks there's an aussie in it. He paid a shop to put it all together. I'll be pulling it apart when we meet. I'm not about to buy something blindly. I don't plan on running anything bigger than 38's. If the center section doesn't hold up I'll use my hpd44 center with the d50 outers. That way I'll eliminate the weak inner's too. If the front isn't locked, I'll sell the detriot in the rear and spool it and use the rest of the money for a locker or another spool or something.
It may be an oddball axle, but it's already geared at 5.38's, apparently locked, and it has d60 outers. So either way, I think I'll be ahead on this.

Back