• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Wiring Harness Upgrade - Photo Writeup

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
Since I still to this day receive PM's about my upgraded headlights, I figured I'd go ahead and answer questions and post some information.

I did this to my YJ's, my XJ's, and now my TJ. Same basic concept. So ignore that it's on my TJ. This is a GREAT mod and really improves headlight output, even with stock lighting! But once you put in upgraded housings and bulbs, that's where it really shines ;-) It's an easy install. I did this back in Jan:

Headlight Mod:
-Hella E-code (ECE) 7" Round Headlight Housings from here: http://www.quadratec.com/products/HL79562.htm
-IPF 100/170 watt H4 bulbs
-Custom Hella (Or ARB) 12 gauge wiring harness with dual relays, fuse, and ground from: http://www.quadratec.com/products/97018_2220.htm

Photos...
Wide angle:
465099693_TgqHR-XL.jpg

A:
465098199_Sp3rH-XL.jpg

B:
465098284_4AFcR-XL.jpg

C:
465098590_QwdJF-XL.jpg

D:
465098809_Ps6gq-XL.jpg

E:
465099033_uVqyV-XL.jpg

Exterior:
552212530_n69Jz-XL.jpg

I don't, but I'll find someone with another TJ so I can get before/after in an equal comparison. The output is worth every penny I have ever spent on my headlight upgrades. Beam pattern is pearl too. Great cut off and tons of light thrown onto the road and off to the sides!

Last edited:
The signal is being received at location "E" in the diagram above. The stock wiring harness on the battery side sends the signal to the upgraded harness with a simple plug & play connection.

I want every volt I can get going directly to the bulbs, that's why I am running straight off the battery. "Clean" and my Jeep's don't typically go together, physically under the hood at least. It's not a show vehicle unless it's at PA Jeeps All Breeds Jeep Show or Jeff Daniels Jeep Show. ;-)

I'll have to admit I wish i did this directly after I bought my Jeep in Jan. I finished this mod 2 weeks ago.. I took a very long time buying quality parts and building the harness the proper length and making sure If I put it in my vehicle it was going to look factory. I'm running all 10 guage.. with autopal e-code bowls and 100/90 bulbs.. I spent about 45 minutes getting them properly aimed.. all i have to say is its like driving in daylight!!!! The top border of the beam is so much higher than it used to be because I have more control of the beam pattern than before. I really like it. It feels good to know that I can see two to three times better than before, at the same time being a lot more "traffic" friendly! If you do it simply to be considerate to other drivers it would be worth it!:thumbup:

Mmmhmmm, this is definitely one of the easiest mods that brings the most to the table. I highly recommend it to anyone who's on the edge of doing it or not.

Back