• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cranking after an extended hybernation

IRN GYNT

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried searching to no avail.

My '88 XJ has been sitting for 4+ years waiting for my procrastinating ace to finally finish a tranny swap. Other responsibilities claimed just about all my time and the XJ suffered for it.

I need some good advice as to what steps I need to take in order to get her to turn over without killing her.:wow:

I know this was covered thoroughly a couple of weeks ago, but I tried searching and couldn't find it either. Of course the tread goes all the way from "just fire it up, it's a Jeep" to "pull the distributor and prime the oil with a drillmotor". I'll just start to list beginning with what I think would be the most important.
*Drain the gas out of the tank, fill with new gas, purge fuel lines and rail by running pump in bursts less than 30 seconds.
*Pull the spark plugs, squirt about a teaspoon of oil into each cylinder, let it sit for a few hours, crank the motor for about 15 seconds, reinsert spark plugs.

To me, this covers the most important thing of not getting the old gas up into the injectors. Of course, it goes without saying that you need to charge the battery and check the oil and coolant levels. After running it for a few hours, I would change the oil and coolant (unless the coolant looks perfect).

Some (whom I respect) will say to prime the motors oil system through the distributor oil like you would a new rebuilt motor. This would certainly be good to do, and I would never say that you shouldn't do it, but I would consider the 15 seconds of cranking with the spark plugs out to be "good enough".

Good luck on your restart. Might also consider polishing up those RENIX ground points. :cheers:

x2 with Winterbeater at a minimum.

In an article in JP Magazine, July 2009 edition, they are firing up a Jeepster that had sat for five years.

They used a full quart of MMO spread between six cylinders, and let it soak in for SIX days.

After six days of soaking they cranked the engine over, slowly at first, to pump the MMO out before reinstalling the plugs and starting it.

Of course, some people will tell you to just "crank it over and go cuze my Uncle Billy did it that way."

I'd first go over all fluid levels and make sure hoses aren't shot and everything else, check the belt. def check the airbox rodents like to make nests/live in there. ect ect... before you attempt to fire it up. then i'd pull the fuel pump fuse, and remove the spark plugs and crank the motor over a a few times in 10 second intervals. this will allow the starter not to fight compression...and not stress the rod/main bearings. while also priming and getting oil throughout the system. Reinstall plugs and fuel pump fuse and fire it up. as soon as possible i'd fill the tank all the way up w/ regular gas to dillute the old fuel. and then throw in a bottle of seafoam in that gas tank and then change the oil. I wouldn't sweat it....

and even at that ^ ^ ^ i think you'd be just fine to fire it right up after giving it a good look over.

Back