• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam Position Sensor

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to fire up a new 4.0 and its been a bummer, fuel issues, misfire issues and no ignition issues. Im my search I have seen alot of guys talk about a Cam Position Sensor. I dont know anything about that, any good links with info? I did a search here but nothing came up.

Thanks

The cam position sensor is locate in the distributor.

The cam position sensor will not cause a lack of spark. So if you don't have spark, this is not it. If it is backfiring and bucking when you try to start, you most likely have the distributor 180 degrees out.

You are probably thinking of the Crankshaft Position Sensor. This is on the bell housing at the rear of the engine. It's a little confusing because many people here refer to the Crank Position Sensor as the CPS but the FSM calls it the CKP. The Cam Position Sensor in the distributor is referred to as the CMP. Like timing a distributor, this needs to be rotated to the correct position. The CKP is not adjustable.

Cool, I have all the other sensor's pretty well down, I just had never known about the cam sensor. You know all about the crank sensor when you need to get your hand in there to swap it out. I did check the position of the dist. with TDC and its lined up with #1 on the cap. So the motors problem is most likley something else. It will be about going and checking everything one by one. Its a jeep thing. I think its most likely a fuel issue because the rail wont hold pressure, and the regulator leaks when you turn the key on, but stops when the motor does fire. New 5.0 injectors (yellow tip 19lbs)

Back