• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 dash replacement

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
Can i swap out a dash that has the fuel, speedometer gauge and dummy lights for everything else with another 98 dash that has the full temp, oil, battery and tac gauges? If not, where can I find out how to install those gauges.

Yes sir, you can do a search and it should pull up all kinds of goodies. Try searching "cluster swap"
Its pretty much a direct swap i believe!

It is plug and play but if you're a stickler for details you'll want to find a full cluster out of the same year as your 97+ XJ. There were suttle differences like a different style check engine light (my 98 says "Check Engine" while my friends 01 has a picture of an engine). You'll also be stuck with whatever mileage is stored in the new cluster. I've heard you can send it out to have it re-programmed but this usually costs around $100-200 depending on location. You might want to check with your local DMV on mileage discrepencies if you ever plan to sell your XJ.......although lets be real.....we never sell them. They own us for life!

The chrysler scan tool can reset the cluster, about 5 pages down in the body diagnostics. It's the same tool they use to plug in the vin and mileage when they replace an ECU. I never bothered in my 98, I just made a note of the mileage difference in my owners manual. If I ever have the tool handy again and I remember I'll probably do it but the only time I needed to borrow it was when I was programming new key fobs for the wifes 97ZJ, she keeps loosing the dam things.:firedevil I'm almost ready to see if they will give me a discount on a 6 pack.

Back