• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ Slip Yoke

XJCruiser

NAXJA Forum User
O.K. after a few weeks of searching and turning up pretty much nothing on the subject, I need some help. What is the deal with using the YJ slip yoke on the XJ? I have a 97 with a 4.5 RE lift and currently unemployed and need a super-cheap alternative to a SYE. I can get one from a friend for free and was wondering what is all needed to use on my XJ. Is it all just a matter of removing the u-joints from my rear drive shaft? Do I run a front drive shaft with this? Please help. Don't have much time. Have to take my Jeep to West Virginia for a funeral next week. Thanks guys!

The YJ's slip yoke is just that, a slip yoke. It's maybe just a shade longer than the 97's slip yoke and machined to slip inside a tail cone instead of an external slip joint like the 97' uses. It was a popular mod early on when you didn't need a SYE in most applications, but needed slightly more bite on the output shaft.

You can not bolt anything to it, just like the 97's slip yoke.

You want a yoke made for that purpose. Explore the GoJeep site. He has a nice writeup on how to do a cheap SYE with a GM yoke.

Or, put a 1" drop on the t-case. Then recheck your DS for lenght.

-Ron

Last edited:
the yj yoke works for 95 and older xj's, its 5/8" longer then a xj yoke and has more clearence around the ears so the driveshaft wont bind up, it will not work on your 97

I think it's not so much that it is longer, the yoke itself has more clearance, so you can droop farther without binding. It is, if I recall, slightly longer, so as to keep it from falling out on droop. Not so much a SYE alternative, as in, it's not going to get rid of any vibrations, If you have vibrations, a TC drop is a cheap alternative to an SYE.

I think it's not so much that it is longer, the yoke itself has more clearance, so you can droop farther without binding. It is, if I recall, slightly longer, so as to keep it from falling out on droop. Not so much a SYE alternative, as in, it's not going to get rid of any vibrations, If you have vibrations, a TC drop is a cheap alternative to an SYE.

I am running the TC Drop that came with the RE kit along with a 4* shim and still experiencing small vibes and slight grinding sounds when accelerating and decelerating between 40 and 55 mph. Possibly add another shim? Would pics of my drive line be helpful? When first lifted tried without TC drop and no shim, then added TC drop still vibes, added 4* shim and still vibes.

Last edited:
Figure out the shims. I know a guy with a 99 with 4.5, TC drop, no shims, and no vibes - tho no Jeeps work the same. I know nothing about shims, but someone here will, you will probably be ok if you get your angle correct. But no yoke is going to solve your problems.

Back